Immortality

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Is Immortality a good seed parent candidate ?

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Immortality is a good pod parent but i like I Do more becasue nearly 100% of seedlings are rebloomers and though most are white those that are nice are great F1 parents

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Super. Immortality is a heathy and lovely plant here.
I seldom have a rebloom on anything because I live so far north of the 45th parallel.

Thanks for the fast reply
M.

Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Anita, what is an F1 parent?

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

First Generation of a cross usually (not alway) more vigerous and is usually a bridge plant to what you are truely looking for.
i.e. Immortality X Chocolate Moose = F1 Icm01 proves rebloom os Icm01RE
Icm01RE X Grape Harvest = F2 SIcmGh01 RE
wow that's confusing for me
F1, F2 F3 .... are generational crosses of seedlings that you may or may not introduce but would used to get to where you want to go. In the above I want a broken color rebloomer with grape smell that is tall with little haftiness.
:)
Hope this helps
A

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

OMG, I think I got it !!! Will wonders never cease....

F1 Icm01RE = First cross(generation) Immortality chocolate moose remondant, but what is the 01 right before RE? The year?

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

The seedling number in the cross
:)
A

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Wow! Heady stuff you guys, but I believe I got it too. But I am not ready to start hybridizing quite yet. Still need to landscape my yard!

Delhi, IA

Granny, about half of the time I get rebloom___usually in October when you are sure everything is finished. I read that we need to fertilize after first bloom and they need lots of water_____well we've got that in Iowa this year___to get that second bloom.
And surprising as it seems if I remove a rhizome or two right after bloom and set it off by itself, it usually does the late fall thing!!

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

HOLY COW I think I'll let you guys do the crosses and send them to me!!! " I'll be the wet mom " way over my head LOL;0)
Gloria

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Hi, I have a couple of seed pods forming on I. and others. How long do they need to be mature? I have never let them go to seed before until this year.
Teresa

South Hamilton, MA

Watch the top of the pod. when mature the top will turn brown & start to crack open. TBs as always that longer than the shorter ones.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I have a couple of big clumps of Immortality, they are mixed in with my dls. Can I cut them back now or not? They have grown so large they are crowding the other plants.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Do you want to cut them back or divide them? I never cut them back unless I am moving transplanting them. I would think you could do it when they finish blooming, but it might be better to wait until July -- that's when the big growers dig.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Oh, I can wait until July. I will not be dividing until later this fall. Is that ok?

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Dividing them in July should be excellent.

South Hamilton, MA

July is best if you can so that they will have a chance to settle in before fall.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

OK, well I need to get a new bed ready then because the old ones are busting at the seams!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Amazing how that happens to all of us!

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Or scary, pajaritomt
I have more hosta and iris coming from DG co-ops.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

And so do I! Our eyes are bigger than our flower beds and a whole lot bigger than our stomachs, thank the Lord. Every year, I say I can't fit any more and every year, I somehow plant more. It's a mystery! ( as they say in Shakespeare in Love!)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.