Planarian, (not in my worm bin)

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

All of us who raise worms in outside bins should know this creature.We have all made our mistakes, but I would recomend a forum siminar to keep us from some of the mistakes we have made.
Mistake one is leaving them alone, and hoping they will go away.They won't
Mistake three is stompping them to what we would consider to death.They don't, infact the more peices you make of them the more you now have. A planerian can be cut in many pieces, and completly regenerate each peice.
The best way to rid the place of them is wrap them in something that will stay dry,like a tissue paper, and they die.I like to put them on something out in the sun, and they die in minuets.
They are detrimental to our worm beds, and cause problems with our plant life.I got rid of one today, but almost made two of them.Mike

Thumbnail by mqiq77

Here is the same planerian only minuets later. Notice how he broke into, and that was picking it up with a stick. Mike

Thumbnail by mqiq77
Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

Goldfish eat 'em in minutes--seconds, actually!

Thats good news, as long as the fish swalloes the whole thing, and not leave anything to regenerate.Thanks, Mike

Dahlonega, GA

what is it , just looks like a worm to me . how do you tell the difference ? sally

Glad you ask, Sally.A planarian lives like a slug, but is very long, and can shrink up in a small guoo.When it is moving around, early morning, or after a long rainy period, it will stretch out very l long, and the head will look like an arrow head.Most of the time they are under a pot, like a slug.If you mash one, the tiny peaces will regenerate, and you will have many more of them.Best way to kill them is to wrap them in a paper towell, and leave it in the sun.Google planarian, you will see.Mike

Dahlonega, GA

yuk! s.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.