bradford pear or silver maple

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Which is the lesser of the 2 evils???
I have a bradford pear that is probably approaching 30 years old, I'm worried it going to be coming down in the next big storm. There is a silver maple growing about 5 feet from it. Should I pull out the silver maple? Should I leave it just in case the pear doesn't survive? Or should I plant some other type of shade tree near it?

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

You have enough room for the silver maple? I would get rid of the Bradford. You could get rid of the bradford and plant another shade tree and then go after the silver maple down the road.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

There's a ton of room.
Here's pic of the pear. The maple is growing basically where the kids' slide is in the pic. Slide is not there currently.

Thumbnail by flowAjen
Brighton, MO(Zone 6a)

While both trees deserve the bad "rep" they have, knowing their weaknesses, can't you work with them and enjoy their strengths? Maybe some careful pruning can give them better storm resistance. I have never owned either tree, but I love the pear blossoms in the spring and have always envied the fast growth of the silver maples.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Are both definitely slated for future removal? Which poses a greater immediate safety hazard? If you removed the pear first, would the maple's location interfere with your choice of a replacement?

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

We already lost 1 Bradford last year so I'm hoping that I don't lose another one they do look great with the blossoms and I love the shade, but since they are the same age...it's more like just in case it comes down should I have something near it growing to replace it?
The maple is small enough just to yank out.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Take the maple while it is this easy. They grow rapidly. If you wait much longer you might regret leaving it. All other negatives aside, you can't take away from the beauty of a Bradford in bloom. The Bradford has an average life span of 25 to 30yrs. You're there. Keep an eye on weak, narrow crotch angles for possible splitting. Take your time and research replacement trees.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.