Are there any herbs that should NOT be planted together?

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

I'm planting a half barrel of herbs. I have parsley, several types of thyme, garlic chives, and lemon grass (so far). Any reason these cannot be grown together?

Edited to add: salvia and basil

This message was edited Jun 3, 2008 7:29 PM

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I'm no help but this is a great question!! Besides what Kaper has are there any that don't do well together?

I have the book Carrots Love Tomatoes and didn't see anything in there - but thought I'd ask those here who grow them - especially in containers.

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

I love that book, Kaper!

Yes, it's a good book. Just doesn't go far enough for me right now!

It's done, so if they don't get along, I will report. Planted the lemon grass, Genoese basil, Greek columnar basil, Bergaarten Sage, sweet marjoram, fern leaf dill, lemon thyme, parsley...and I think I stuck another thyme (never enough!) in there.

I lined the barrel sides with plastic to slow down the moisture loss - it's an authentic old barrel, not plastic or anything. The bottom has window screening only. I'm putting some wire mesh around the top to try and slow down the squirrels and bunnies. They get enough of my stuff, this is MINE!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Sounds like you have the bases covered Kaper. Please keep us posted.

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

I would think the only problem might come from some herbs being thirstier than others, but then again, wouldn't the basil suck up the water the thyme doesn't want? Or does it not work that way?

Pictures, please, Kaper?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Good point brigidlily. Soil conditions are a big factor for combining I think. An ordinary sage would croak in rich moist conditions (she says having killed one by doing just that last summer argh!)

Yes, that thought came to me belatedly. We live and we learn. DH has to fix the wire mesh around the top, then I'll take pictures.

Rockmart, GA

While researching companion gardening, I ran across a claim that Fennel will not grow with anything--that is to say, it's not a good companion for any other plant. I have not verified this--but it did scare me off planting it this season!
judithht

Middleburgh, NY

Judith, I had read that many times as well - don't plant fennel near anything. Last year, my fennel was next to my lemon basil and both did tremendously well. I wonder if the fennel effects veggies and not other herbs??

Conneaut, OH(Zone 5a)

I was told not to plant fennel and dill together.If you harvest the seeds to plant the following year they won't be good because the plants cross pollinate.Edge

rut roh, I have my bronze fennel near dill

Middleburgh, NY

maybe you will get bronze dill???

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Oops! But that brings up a question I've had -- how near is "near"? I understand you wouldn't want to interplant "enemies" in the same raised bed, but what if you have raised beds a couple of feet apart?

I'm working on establishing 12 raised beds, each on 2'x6'. The ones that are doing really well are the interplanted ones (tomatoes with carrots, bee balm, basil, and marigolds; another with pole beans, strawberries, and marigolds). But could I, for example, plant tomatoes in one bed and potatoes in the bed next to it? (I don't have the book here, but I seem to recall you don't want to plant those together.) Is that separated enough? I'm still learning this and hope to plant a fall garden; this takes a LOT of planning!

yah, good question. My raise bed is 4 x 8

Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

I have had bronze fennel for years and it just pops up everywhere,next to anything it pleases. I have never noticed any ill effects.
Bronze dill?? Is that possible? I have begun to wonder? my dill patch is self sown and some look suspicious.

Santa Fe, NM

I had heard that about fennel. I have tarragon, valerian and sage growing near mine. I think the valerian and sage may have some trouble with it. The tarragon doesn't seem to care. It's hard to tell because every year the weather is different and that could be more of a determining factor.

Rock Tavern, NY

I can only think of two things: Dill and Fennel will cross pollinate one another. I read that Rue should not be planted next to Sage, but SHOULD be planted with raspberries. I don't know why, though. :)

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I just did a google search for "Rue and Raspberries" I found a site that I will definately bookmark. I don't have any books on companion planting so it is a good referance for me! Makes me really glad I put the mint and parsley in two different window boxes.

http://www.rexresearch.com/agro/comp1.htm

Editted to add the link :)

This message was edited Jun 14, 2008 10:06 AM

Great link, GG. Other good info, too.

Finally got around to taking a picture of my herb barrel. The dill, sweet marjoram, and lemon thyme are growing, but the basils, sage, and lemon grass are really poking along. You can see where I started to turn down the mesh - I only did one section and then decided it might not be necessary. The plastic is a garden bag DH stapled to over the edge and I trimmed. He also stapled the wire mesh on.

Not real pretty, but so far, no tampering by squirrels. :-)

Thumbnail by KaperC
Berkeley, CA(Zone 10a)

Lemon grass can be invasive..but in a pot...who cares! I prefer lemongrass to weeds.
:-)

certainly not invasive here!!! I just love it, wish I didn't have to start new every year.

Conneaut, OH(Zone 5a)

Mrs. Ed,my lemon grass is in a pot and I brought it in for the winter. It did fine as a house plant.It is back outside now.It is as happy as a clam.Are clams really happy?How can you tell?Edge

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

cuz they're always smilin' like this http://waldoboromaine.org/images/clam1.gif

Berkeley, CA(Zone 10a)

i think that clam looks skeeered!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

how bout this one? http://www.lindseysfamilyrestaurant.com/images/Happy_clam_merch.jpg

Clambo…

http://www.colbertnation.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/step%2009.jpg

Berkeley, CA(Zone 10a)

now THOSE are happi happi clamzies!

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

I don't know about the rules but I have fennel planted in a bed with mexican oregano, comfrey, milkweed, beautyberry and tanzy. All are thriving. So much so that I will have to thin it out soon. I've been hoping the BF's will come and have a buffet.....I have 5 BST's in the cage in chrysalis now. I think the wasps got to the monarch babes before I did (I'm looking daily).

In another bed, I have rue growing with oregano, sage, lemon balm, parsley, dill, mint, st. john's wort, a curry plant (the lemon tree hangs over and provides shade for the curry plant and dill) and chives. All of these are on their second year now. Again all are thriving and the lemon balm is taking over. I'll be trimming that WAAAAAY back soon. I had cilantro in there but it's finished for the season. The dill is almost kaputsky as well.

And in another bed I have several basil varieties (towards the back), bee balm, cat mint, patchouli, tarragon, a bay laurel in the back corner, more st. john's wort, chamomile that is now finished. In the front of that bed are several varieties of thyme and a trailing rosemary. I purposely did that because my sprinkler reaches the back of the bed better.

And in between all of those, I planted nasturtiums which are now finished.

So far, nothing seems to be hurting one or the other. Everyone is happy!

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

It's kind of sad how quickly the nasturtiums finish. Just can't take this heat. Your gardens sound lovely, knolan!

Yes, that's strange to hear because my nasturtiums are just starting! All the pansies are ready to be cut back though. That's about right timing… July 1.

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

My grandmother looooooved nasturtiums; I guess that's where I get it! But that was in Missouri; down here the temps and humidity are both in the 90s, and the other day it was 112 in the sun while 84 in the shade. Beats them up quite a bit!

Berkeley, CA(Zone 10a)

Nasturtiums flowers YEAR round here..its a weed! The leaves get as big as an elephants ears!
a.

Thumbnail by BerkeleyAnnie
Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

A.

I'm jealous! How lovely that is. Are you eating your leaves and flowers?

Thanks, Brigidlilly! I'm becoming one with the herbs. LOL. My guest bedroom has turned into a drying room of late. Hope no one wants to stay overnight.....no room for them.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Ahhhh... but it will smell wonderful if you do have guests! LOL I see you have lots of "lemons" but was surprised not to see my favorite, lemon verbena. It should do well in your zone...

KaperC ~ I would think in your blend the only problem you would have is root systems overtaking others. Lemon grass roots can be pretty intensive. It is probably too late as you are planted but I would leave it in a pot and sink the pot in the barrel. The roots will search out thru the drainports but can be easily controlled. Just a thought.

Berkeley, CA(Zone 10a)

pod
they laughted at me when i said lemon grass was invasive! :-) different strokes for different zones!
Knolan,yes we pretty up salads and fruit punch with the flowers. Peppery.
Pod,Ive got enough lemon verbena for us all.! Here is a pic of my verbena with a rose geranium.
A.

Thumbnail by BerkeleyAnnie

No no, I did not laugh at you annie!

Just in this zone Lemon Grass is controlled. I agree with the roots though. When I dug the dead clump out this spring it was murder!!! It was a behemoth of a plant!

Berkeley, CA(Zone 10a)

as i recall, Mrs. Ed,there were a few laughing clams!
A. :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.