Asparagus cover crop or mulch?

Berkeley, CA(Zone 10a)

hi out there
I am in the SF CA bay area.Does any one know a good cover crop for asparagus? or is it better to dry mulch? I am ready to do it but i don't know what it is need to do! I usually grow fava and clover but those might choke out asparagus. My asparagus crowns were just planted.
Thanks in advance
Anne

Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

I didn't use a cover crop or mulch on my asparagus last year. It was fine. If you're covering it for weed control, I would use a dry mulch, straw or whatever. The asparagus crowns are too easily damaged, I think, if you use a green cover crop and then dig or till it.

Karen

Tonto Basin, AZ

Established asparagus is pretty darn tough. We have some where bermuda has become firmly established and the asparagus acts like it's not even there. Mature aparagus shoots are so dense they shade out anything growing underneath them.

Frank

Berkeley, CA(Zone 10a)

Thanks guys ... since my bed is new, I'll use straw as a cover crop and then not worry about it when the big boys come in.

A.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

I have the same issue, A. Asparagus grows/produces year round here and I am thinking of planting ornamental peanut over the bed as it is a nitrogen fixer.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

I am growing plain ole blackeye peas as they are also a nitrogen fixer. Besides we like them. Never thought about planting over the asparagus. Mine has been allowed to go to the fern stage for now.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.