Growing potatoes in a bag

Clarksville, MD

O.k., I bought the bags, filled them up with about 5 inches of soil. The potatoes are planted and sprouting. I'm filling the bags with old straw now. Should I be adding dirt as well or is the straw suffiecient?

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Takela, I bought the bags as well, about a month ago. I put in 2" of dirt, placed the potatoes, and added 4" of dirt. As they sprouted I tucked more dirt around them, and they have grown to the point the bags are almost full to the top. I'm not sure it matters what you put in there (within reason!) as long as you get the stalks covered so the tubers can grow.

I had some bug or other eat a stalk off at dirt level (grrr...) and just lowered the dirt right at that plant, and it's forming new leaves now. I water them twice a day -- of course it's a LOT hotter here than in MD! I planted them late, too, so I may not get any this year. I like those bags, though, and will plant them in Feb. next year.

Clarksville, MD

Thank you : ) So far I've only added old (dry) straw ... only because I'm growing them on my deck and I need to move them around, straw is much lighter ... it's also easier to get.

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

I'm under the impression straw is fine. Let us know how they grow.

That one that some bug or other sabotaged has nice leaves now. That was a pleasant surprise!

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

What bags? Sounds cool!!!

Clarksville, MD

My garden supply center has them. They are green sturdy (plastic?) with holes aroung the egdes of the bottom. Potato bags. My seed potatoes were sprouting and I was no where near being able to put them in my garden plot ... to wet to till.

Anderson, SC(Zone 7b)

Wow, that's interesting. I wonder if Burlap bags would work the same?

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

My bags are from Parks -- they're like thick black felt. Burlap might be too porous, but if you can get them to hold enough water (like maybe 3 or 4 inside each other?) I don't see why it wouldn't.

Takela, I made the assumption you had the same bags I did!

Anderson, SC(Zone 7b)

Wow, I never heard of these before - what a cool idea!! :))

Danbury, CT(Zone 6a)

I use straw around my potatoes and it works a charm. I never grew in bags, but I have grown in plastic bins with a few inches of soil on the bottom and then straw to fill to the top. Works great!

Jen

Clarksville, MD

Thank you, I'll keep using the straw.

Will I get those yucky potato bugs if the bags are on my deck?

Danbury, CT(Zone 6a)

Don't know, but I would guess, where there's potatoes, there will probably be potato bugs. I just pick them off and put them into a coffee can with soapy water. I don't like doing it, but they're so easy to spot, I can't just leave them there.

Clarksville, MD

Sounds like husband duty. Mine picks off the hornworms from the tomatoes ... I'll add potato bugs to his agenda ...

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

I keep a spray bottle of water with a little Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap out back and just spray the evil ones with that.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.