Is my tree gone forever???

Seattle, WA

I planted my deodar cedar as a mere sapling, and it's now as tall as my neighbor's two story house. Last fall my (non gardener) husband called me at our other house and told me the cedar was dead. I totally didn't believe him, as it had always been healthy looking, and I considered it as established tree. All that has changed is the total remodel of the home next door.

I don't believe anything happened at the root level, but how can one know for sure (rhetorical question only)? Anyway, the tree surely looks quite dead now, although a few little green needles cling gamely on. I know trees can take a while to die, but is it like a cancer patient, dying cell by cell until one day the entire organism just calls it quits? Do I try in vain to offer water, waiting for total brownness to occur, or what?? I am so perplexed and saddened by this. Can't bring myself to start taking it down while there may still be hope. Only feet away is a Maine white pine that I hauled home on a lark---it was a sapling given to me on the Boston Common during some festivities. That one seems healthy as a horse. Help, I beg of you!

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

I'd not give up completely yet, but it doesn't sound good.

Did you have a severe winter? Deodar Cedar is not the hardiest, and can be killed in a bad winter.

Resin

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Seattle never gets very cold does it? Strange a big tree like that would just up and die? Maybe someone dumped something toxic near the roots?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I wonder if some damage wasn't done during the neighbor's remodeling project--if they had lots of heavy equipment running over and over its root zone or if they did some digging and damaged the roots that could have done it. Or if there was a bad winter that is always a possibility too, Plant Files lists it as hardy to 7b and if I remember right Seattle is 8a, so having an extra cold winter might not have been good for it.

Seattle, WA

I don't recall much in the way of severe cold, but the new water line might have inflicted some damage. I thought it was over more. I'm just so crushed. Maybe a prayer vigil would help. Witchcraft, anyone?

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

I've seen Deodar Cedars killed in Britain in a severe winter, so don't rule that out as an option! Only selected cold-hardy cultivars are hardy to zone 7.

Ture though that disturbance or soil compaction over the root system could well kill it too.

Resin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.