Do you read Korean? Help please, I can't read seed packs!

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

Well, I decided to be adventurous and buy these seeds packs that I found at a local farmer's market. The problem is that everything is written in Korean(I think) so I'm not totally sure what I bought! Can anyone help me out with cultivar names? Thanks in advance! :)

First picture is a watermelon:

Thumbnail by Danita
GA, GA(Zone 7b)

Second picture of a ...mallow?

Thumbnail by Danita
GA, GA(Zone 7b)

Third picture of a pepper:

Thumbnail by Danita
GA, GA(Zone 7b)

Fourth picture of a pepper:

Thumbnail by Danita
Central Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

Danita, I can't read Korean either. I would recommend you go a head and plant them anyway.

scio, oregon, OR(Zone 8a)

We have to have some DG members in Korea. Have you tried looking in the membership by country?

GREAT seed packs, BTW.

Durhamville, NY(Zone 5b)

I wonder if you are close enough to a larger city that might have a Korean grocery store where you could stop in and ask.

Durhamville, NY(Zone 5b)

I just had another thought. If you are near a military base there is almost for sure a military spouse that is Korean around.

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

Danita:

I have a radish seed that I have been waiting to have translated. We recently held an open house for a Korean organization and got some possible translation sources.

Dmail me if you are interested

Just curious: Did you get those at one of the International Farmers Market stores?

BB

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

Oops, sorry I didn't answer you BB!
So 7 months later, the answer is... Yes, I did get them from the Cobb International Farmers Market store. They had a rack of various Dong Won Nong San seed packs. Now if I could get by there when they aren't crazy busy, I'd ask them what on earth I bought!

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

Perhaps someone at Kitazawa Seed would be able to help you if you could fax or email the pictures to them? It would let them know what type of Asian vegetable seed is being sold in your area. There are some similar veggies in use between Japanese and Korean cuisine. Kitazawa supplies seed for many growers of Asian vegetables. You may find a similar phot on their website.

http://www.kitazawaseed.com/index.html

Your melon seeds may be for the IceBox Melon or similar:
http://www.kitazawaseed.com/seed_250-91.html

Your second photo looks like some type of Chinese broccoli or Japanese chard:
http://www.kitazawaseed.com/seeds_leafy_vegetables.html

Some similar green peppers:
http://www.kitazawaseed.com/seeds_green_pepper.html

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

HaHa, this is an old thread! I just checked back to Dave's garden for the first time in several months. Danita, did you ever plant those seeds and if so how did they turn out?

Happy New Year,
Dean

Clarkson, KY

Just found it myself -DH is Korean and could tell you...for this coming season anyway...

Ilsan, South Korea(Zone 6a)

Hi Danita,

I finally got around to logging into Dave's after a long absence. I'm currently in the USA visiting for the next 2 weeks and then I'll be returning to South Korea to finish my English teaching contract. Sigh. I'll miss home so much. I'm Korean by ethnicity but was raised in the USA for 30 out of the 33 years of my life but thankfully I can read, speak, and write enough Korean to get by when I go back to Korea. Both peppers of peppers that you asked about are HOT ones. The smooth variety, known as "Poot- gochu" with gochu meaning pepper in Korean being especially hot. The wrinkly pepper is known as the "qquarry-gochu" and is hot, but not as hot as the latter. Both are in no comparison to the habanero so I wouldn't worry, but then again, I'm used to spicy things so it's all relative. I hope this helped! The other seed packets are the typical sweet icebox melon seen in grocery stores in Korea and the leafy green is a variety of Asian greens used in stir fry and side dishes.

All the best,
Elizabeth
New Jersey

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.