Tiny corn?

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5a)

Just picked my first-ever homegrown corn, and boy was it tasty! The only thing I'm wondering about was the size of the ears. I grew Sugar Dots, and the package says the ears should be about 8" in length. Mine were more like 4 to 5". I know it's too late to do anything for this planting, but I'm wondering about the next round? I fertilized 3 times (at planting, at 5 leaves and at tassling) with homemade compost; I'm thinking next time I ought to use a higher-powered fertilizer. Would that solve my problems and get me bigger ears of corn?

Thanks for the help!

Thumbnail by tucsonjill
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Corn is a heavy feeder, particularly of nitrates. Another frequently encountered problem leading to small ears (nubbins) is crowding. Modern corn can be grown at a high planting density if heavily fertilized and provided abundant water. Remember that before the intense fertilization and irrigation, corn grown naturally was planted on 42 inch centers. Sweet corn is smaller and will work under natural conditions at 18 inch spacing in three foot rows. Sugar Dots normally makes a very nice ear and is good eating.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5a)

I did have them planted pretty closely, after the SFG method, since I have only very limited space. I think next time around I'll feed with something higher in nitrates than my homegrown compost and see what that does.

I also had one cob that had a baby cob attached within the same set of husks--it had its own silks and everything. Very odd, I didn't know corn did that!

They may be small, but boy are they good eating!

Thanks, Farmerdill!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.