Is it too late to apply grub killer or beneficial nematodes?

Cedar Springs, MI(Zone 5b)

I know the Rose Chafers and Japanese Beetles are coming!
Is it too late to apply grub killer or beneficial nematodes?

New York, NY

My friends the root weevils have yet to appear this year although I've seen plenty of grubs in various other gardens in my complex. This little ditty says you should be okay with benefical nematodes but you might want to move fast. I seem to remember there is a temperature issue with them. I'd love to hear whether you have success. I did mine in the fall for the second time.

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/insect/05551.html

"Larvae develop in the soil and require different treatment. The systemic insecticide imidacloprid can provide some control and is used as a drench to the soil so that it moves to the root zone. A biological control alternative are insect parasitic nematodes of the genus Heterorhabditis. (See fact sheet 5.573, Insect Parasitic Nematodes.) Treatments should be made in late spring and early summer when adult feeding on leaves is observed and egg hatch usually begins. Both imidacloprid and Heterorhabditis nematodes require that the soil be kept moist following application and the site should be irrigated immediately after application."

Cedar Springs, MI(Zone 5b)

Thanks much for the info Italent

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.