Rhododendron not blossoming

New Boston, NH

Does anyone have suggestions on why out of eight plants I put in last year only one bloomed.Even an old plant 20 years hasn't bloomed wonder if they are getting fed to much when I see neighbors who don't even look at their bushes and the have great bloom?
Peter

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Hmmm, did you prune it too late? Enough Sun? How much food did you give it? Mine is in full bloom right now.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

I don't feed mine at all. Rhodies have their buds for the following year by late summer / early fall. Were there buds??

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Hi Peter. Mine isn't blooming this year either, but I know why.....it was badly chomped this winter by the hungry critters. Do you see any signs of chewed-up branch tips?

Nassau County, NY(Zone 7a)

Gamekeeper, I am with everyone, did you prune them last year, they form thir blooms during the prior growing season, Clem

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I am trying to figure out why that monster in my yard hasn't bloomed either this year or last.... it's huge but no pay off in spring... looks like buds are there but not big enough.... if it doesn't bloom again this year we plan on pruning it... maybe it's just too big to get enough energy to bloom... would love some advice if anyone has it

New Boston, NH

Did no pruning onthese plants fed them Hollytone they had buds but when they open it is just new foliage.
Peter

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

Hi, Peter. Nice to see you you posting again. You must have been busy in the garden.

New Boston, NH

Candyce,
Between the the garden,the kennel and the KIDS!!!!! Rarely I get on line ocassionally at work.

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Peter, do your rhodies get enough sunlight? If they're in deep shade, they won't bloom.

Good luck,
Harper

Hillsdale, NY(Zone 5b)

I have a deer that comes around in April and daintily bites off the flower buds from my rhodies. Never touches the leaves - or much else in the garden, for that matter. - Julie

Hi, Julie ~

Peter: Here's a photo of our rhodies this year. Last year they did not bloom at all! Keep the faith.

Thumbnail by Candyce
Nassau County, NY(Zone 7a)

Positive thinking always pays, right candyce??? Clem

I believe whole-heartedly in the power of positive thinking! It works every time. I just have to keep reminding myself of that fact.

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

Last summer when blooms were forming we had a month very dry weather. Where my sprinkling hit them they gave normal great blooms. Where it was not watered the buds were small and made a less than good show this year. I feed them nothing....ever.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

just blooming now... a tad late

Thumbnail by onewish1

It's very pretty.
Better late than never! I bet your neighbors were jealous to see you enjoying such nice blooms at this time.

A month ago up here you couldnt turn on a street or highway and not see a rhodie. They have passed bloom now for the most part up here.

Thumbnail by

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.