Coleus Chatters thru June 8th...

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Good Morning to all you beautiful coleus lovers! I do hope that today and the rest of the week is a beautiful place for all of you! We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/853373/

Let's start off with a little Blood, Sweat & Tears this morning.... Everyone sing along.

Seventy-three men sailed up from the San Francisco Bay,
Rolled off of their ship and here's what they had to say.
"We're calling everyone to ride along to another shore,
Where we can laugh our lives away and be free once more."

Ride, captain ride on your mystery ship,
Be amazed at the friends you've got there on your trip.
Be aware of the things others just might have missed

No one heard them calling, no one came at all,
'Cause they were too busy watching those old raindrops fall.
As a storm was blowing out on the peaceful sea,
Seventy-three men were sailing off into history.

Ride captain ride on your mystery ship,
Be aware of the world others just might have missed

Ride captain ride on your mystery ship,
Be aware of the world othersjust might have missed

Be amazed at the friends you have here on your trip.
Be aware of a world others just might have missed.

Coleus Purple Haze

Thumbnail by Brinda
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Shouldn't that have been a Jimmie Hendricks song with the Purple Haze visual? HAHAHAHA

Good Morning folks!

Just finished watering both the front yard and the back. I'm already feeling rather humid this morning. I should be mowing the back yard, but think I will wait until this evening instead. No sense in having a heat stroke and not being able to enjoy the fruits of my labor.

I decided to go to Wal Mart yesterday to buy a chamois to help keep waterspots off of my new stainless steel sink. I called Connie to see if she wanted to endure the "pain of Wal Mart" with me. We both HATE Wal Mart, but know that some things are just so much cheaper there. Mainly coffee. We buy 6-8 cans of Master Chef coffee any time we go there because it's SOOOOOO much cheaper than anything we can get at the grocery store.

OK, I conned her into going by saying... I have a God Awful cramp in the back of my leg, so I know I won't be wandering. All I need is the chamois and some coffee. She said she'd go with me. We parked fairly close to the door (Yeah! that was a miracle in itself!) Walked in and she got a buggy. We walked through the produce and I saw cherries and grapes on sale, so I put some in the buggy. She saw strawberries on sale. I knew from the get go that I'd best be getting my own buggy or we'd have a big mess when it came time to pay for our "loot". I walked back to get a buggy for myself and Connie wandered off. No biggie. We always shop this way. Walk in the door together and then go our separate ways. I picked up this and that. Things I knew would be cheaper there.

I was just about done in the groceries and had a half a buggy of stuff. (Sound familiar?) I called Connie on her cell and asked her where she was. She said over by the pillows. So I headed that direction. Of course, by the time I arrived at the pillows, she was down by the shoes. I ducked a bit and saw her shirt through a display of towels.

I caught up to her and we headed to automotive so I could get the chamois. Then we headed to the toothbrush aisle so I could get hubby a new toothbrush. While I was perusing the toothbrushes looking for the specific one he requested, Connie was looking through the pool stuff. I found the toothbrush and she'd disappeared again. I figured since we were so close to the garden area that she'd be out there looking at the plants. So I headed that way.

Out the door I go... Immediately I spot some beautiful caladiums. I'm thinking maybe I can get an ID on that red one I haven't been able to figure out yet. They have it!!! It's called Florida Sweetheart! Then I look over and Miss Muffet is sitting there pretty as you please. My mouth drops open and I begin to drool. I look around to see if anyone is seeing my slobber on my chin. I'm tempted. Oh Lordy am I tempted!!! I quickly whip out my cell phone to take a photo of "something I passed up"! (I sent it to my email, but it hasn't come in to the outlook box yet). I wander around, looking for Connie. I pass up veggies, herbs, coleus, all kinds of wonderful plants. I don't see her anywhere, so I head back into the garden center inside.

She's about to enter the garden area (she's probably been looking for me). She says, you want to go look at the plants? Guiltily, I say, sure. (Like I hadn't already been out there drooling)

She heads over toward the caladiums and spots Miss Muffet and Gingerland. She says these are some I don't have. I sigh... thinking, neither do I (though I thought I remembered labeling a photo Gingerland, I don't remember mine looking like that) Connie picks out one of each and puts them into her buggy. She says, each one of these has several in it. I can separate them when we get back and give you one of each. Thank You Jesus for giving me such a wonderful sister!!!

OK, you'd think that was the end of the story. Right? Well guess again.

We get our groceries to our respective homes and put them away. After some messing around - getting a pedicure, and swimming, we go to Goodwill and then I drop Connie off at her house. I come home and immediately go get the Florida Sweetheart pot that is really bare on one side of the pot. I park the new babies in the same pot and give them a nice drink of water.

This morning, I water them again and move them to a little bit shadier spot.

I sat down here to type out my message and remembered that I hadn't taken any photos of the new caladiums. So I grab my camera and head out back. I look and half of my Florida Sweetheart has been chewed to the stems! UGGGGGGGGGHH!!!! I look and there is a caterpillar... pretty, but he does NOT belong in THAT pot of my new babies!!! So I take a quick photo of the culprit and pick up a stick to remove him from the pot. I tossed him out, after a stern talking to.

And now you know... the rest of the story!!!

Janet

Thumbnail by UniQueTreasures
Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Yes Janet, I almost posted Purple Haze by Jimmie Hendrix but after reading the lyrics again I decided it was too much of a downer for such an early morning song. LOL

I loved your story and I just knew the ending was going to be buying some coleus! LOL How far did you toss the cat??? Probably not far enough. I wonder how fast/far they can travel in just an hour?

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

I tossed him into the chiminea. That may sound cruel, but that is where I put all of my cut off twigs, etc. so they can be burned later. So he's got plenty to eat!

I just found this "ponderism" in my email:

Garden Rule : When weeding , the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it .
If it comes out of the ground easily , it is a valuable plant .

Janet

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

I'm as much a caladium addict as I am a coleus addict. You will love Florida Sweetheart. I had them all over my yard last year, and they took the heat (here in Florida!) and the sun very well, as long as I kept them watered very well. The Gingerland and Miss Muffets look great in mixed coleus pots. The only one I think I'm missing is Marie Moir.
It's 95 degrees right now...can't even walk across the deck without my feet burning off, so it looks like 7pm yard work once again!

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I agree with you MerryMary it is too hot to be outside, time for a nap......

NoID coleus>

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Janet your stories crack me up . . . and your discipline in the garden shop; well I hate you for that. Make the rest of us feel better by slipping just once. LOL

My RD order arrived yesterday. Woo Hoo Will try and get pictures posted later today.

Almost lost my baby (shihtzu) yesterday. I was out gardening and he wandered off (he never goes far from home now that he can't see). I was busy gardening and forgot that he was outside; I thought he was sleeping on his bed in my closet. Anyway, this occurred around 9 in the morning. At 4 when I came in and looked for him, he was no where to be found. I looked all over the house, then outside around the yard, and then around the neighborhood. I expected to find him splat on the road. Called the police dept. and low and behold someone had reported a black/white dog that was blind and deaf and it sounded like my Joey. I gave them my info and they called the lady and gave her my info. Sure enough, she had seen him in the road, disoriented and almost get hit by two different cars. She picked him up and took him home with her and called animal control. She kept him inside, gave him water and food. She has five dogs herself and one is 17 years old and she recognized the signs of Joey's infirmities. God Bless this woman and her love for animals. Joey wouldn't be here today if she hadn't picked him up. I think I will have some flowers delivered to her today.

Patty

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

Patty, am so glad joey is alright, and back home with you. sounds like that lady is joeys guardian angel.
kathy

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Oh Patty what a scare. I think a large pot of coleus would keep on saying thanks on Joey's behalf.
What a blessing!
;)

Glen Riddle Lima, PA

wow patty, a scary story with a happy ending... i hope your little Joey is feeling safe now and you are too.

i also have a tiny dog, jezibel, (a chihuahua) who wanders away. she's so small and relatively quiet most people don't even know she's around. she's not blind, but honestly, not the smartest. my husband once lost her right before a rainstorm and he went trudging from house to house for two hours looking for her before i got home from work. lucky for him. she's my baby. we met most of the neighborhood that day. she's sort of famous from that day. seems everyone remembers.

joey, jezi says hello from one little dog to another! if you two met you could compare war stories!

joy

Woodway, TX(Zone 8a)

Has anyone rooted cuttings from pentas? Websites say it roots "easily." I've never tried, but I bought some today and they are so leggy they're good candidates for a trial. Pentas are kind of expensive here; I don't know about where you are. These are violet and hard to find, too.

DP

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Awww Patty, I'm so happy that your baby is OK now. That was such a sweet thing for that lady to rescue your baby and get him back to you!

DP, I've never rooted pentas but I'll be really curious to see how it goes for you. Normally they are abundant in the nurseries but for some reason this year they seem to be scarce. I did snag a couple of pinks a couple weeks ago and I think I paid almost $4.00 for them.

I do hope all is well with everyone!!! :)

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

DP,

Pentas are easy for me, but, I have a misting system in a greenhouse.

Pentas 'Ruby Glow'>

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Quoting:
Garden Rule : When weeding , the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it .
If it comes out of the ground easily , it is a valuable plant .

Oh Janet, I laughed so loud my dog ran out of the room and barked! LOL She is elderly and nearsighted really bad..I think she can only hear out of one ear when she wants to.. LOL She thought someone was here... That made me laugh harder!

Thumbnail by ZZsBabiez
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Sadly enough ZZ, It's true. Sigh! Glad you got a giggle out of it. I sure did. You have a cute dog!

Janet

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Forgot to mention.. that's when I tell her to say woo woo woo

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Patty, you must have gotten hysterical...I would have.

I sure do believe in guardian angels......

Off to Chicago in a couple of hours until Monday nite.

See you all on Tues.

XXXOOOO

Hap

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

hap, have a safe trip. i heard they had rough weather yesterday

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Have a great time. Get some pictures of Daily's Gardens all over downtown. I loved my pruning stroll. "Just evening up the plant Officer."
Great rain yesterday.
Plant explosion here tomorrow.
Still working nights.
;)

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Morning everyone!

ZZ, that's the cutest dog!!! I can just picture and hear her saying woo, woo, woo! Too funny!

Hap, have a wonderful trip! And if you stroll in the gardens make sure you have your story straight, just in case you get caught snipping a few cuttings! LOL

Janet, your quote is so true! I loved it! And my Braden must agree with you. We've been invaded with nut-grass and his summer job is to keep it pulled out. He certainly isn't having much fun at all! LOL

Kathy, how's your garden growing? It's great to see you posting! Or did I just skim over posts when I was working so hard? LOL

Joy, how's the baby & Aiden?

I'm off to the shower as I have a doctor appt this morning. How much snot can one person produce anyway???? After that, I hope to get some packages out that I've promised to so many!

Have a beautiful day everyone...

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

morning brenda, my garden would be better if it would rain.
call me stupid but, black star- sun or shade? i've had it a week on my porch because i don't know where to put it

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Maybe someone else will come along and answer your question about Black Star. I have it this year but I've not planted it yet. I think I had it last year and kept it on the east side of the house so it didn't get all day sun. Just can't remember for sure.

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

ok, thanks anyway. how have you been, besides busy?

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

ZZ love the doggie picture; that is so cute. Woo Woo Woo

Hap be safe on your trip and hurry home and back to us!!!

Is Black Star a coleus? I just got a black one yesterday from a friend. I have never had black; they never appealed to me but I mentioned that I needed to buy me one and try it and see if I liked it. She picked it up and brought it to me yesterday. I don't know the cultivar though and I know it isn't tagged. The nursery she got it at NEVER tags coleus.

Oh I've got to get off this computer; gotta get outside before it gets too hot.

Patty

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

yes patti, it is a coleus

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

I have Black Star and if it gets too much shade it turns green.. it is a slow grower and can take quite a bit of sun I think. Mine is under shade cloth, in full sun all day.. it gets really hot in there on the top shelf!! I would think it's equal to 4 to 6 hours of direct sun.

I really like Black Star.. it's a nice lil coleus!

Thank you for the nice comments about Tweety... she is a crack up. I swear if someone could have filmed her yesterday when she ran out of my room, it would have brought big $$ LOL

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

thanks for the info zz

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

OK Folks. I was out front, meandering around. Each day, since I hammered the tree spikes into the ground by the brug, I search and search for something that resembles a bloom. Today I saw this at the top of the plant. (whispering) Could this be a b-b-b-b-b-l-o-o-o-o-mm-mm-mm?

Oh please, please, please... after waiting forever, tell me this is going to be a bloom!!!!

Janet

Thumbnail by UniQueTreasures
Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

looks like its gonna bloom to me. congradulations!

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Letting out a waybigo breath! Thank you Jesus!!! The suspense of waiting is killing me.

Janet

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Yes a bloom for you. I just checked mine and you know I missed it. LOL
All I found was a spent bloom.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

I was at Connie's on Sunday swimming and she said look at that brug. There were at least 20 blooms on hers. I was absolutely green with envy!!!

I forgot to tell you all about one that I saw at Wal Mart the other day. That brug wasn't but about 6 inches tall and it had a bloom sticking out of it. I showed it to Connie and told her that it just made me sick that mine is taller than me and still no blooms.

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Yep Janet, that's gonna be a bloom. But don't hold your breath... you'll turn blue way before it blooms! LOL I'll never remember my first brug bloom. From the time I became so nuts about brugs until the time I actually had a bloom must have been almost 2 years. And when the time finally came I was just nuts. I watched that thing all day, everyday! And then when it finally did bloom, the stupid cat knocked the bloom off!

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

i don't have blooms yet either

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Praise the Lord I have no cats.

Connie just called and said she was going to the bank. I told her to come get me. We NEVER go to the bank without going to Goodwill.

I can't wait to show her my "bloomette". HAHAHAHA

Janet

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Quoting:
I'll never remember my first brug bloom.

Is that the dumbest thing anyone has ever written? Sheesh... I believe I meant to type... I'll never forget my first brug bloom. LOL

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Sending blooming thoughts your way JKJ

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Brinda you nut! I would never have caught that

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

thanks janet

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Hey Janet

Is your brug in full sun??? Part sun??? I'm thinking mine may need more sun to get them to load up with blooms. I used the tree spikes and have fed em and been watering them faithfully. I've had blooms but I had more before it got so hot. Right now I don't have many blooms so I'm wondering if it's too shady or maybe too hot. I just don't know . . .

Patty

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.