Shelbourne Falls Flower Bridge

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

I try to visit Shelbourne Falls, MA, at least once a year to see the amazing flower bridge, but this is the first time I had a digital camera along. The bridge once carried an old trolley line, but after that went to interurban heaven, the local flower club decided to create a memorial to their war veterans and each year fill it with flowers.

Thumbnail by DonShirer
Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

Here is their explanatory plaque. NOTE: I am not an expert photographer, and in addition have reduced the resolution of these pictures to make them upload faster. You should see this attraction yourself to get the full effect. The town has many art galleries and stores and you can easily spend a pleasant afternoon here.

This message was edited Jun 1, 2008 11:05 PM

Thumbnail by DonShirer
Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

This was on June 1, 2008. The flowers are often replaced seasonally. I remember that in fall leaf-peeping time, there are a great many dinner-plate sized dahlias along the bridge.

Thumbnail by DonShirer
Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

The flowers along the bridge proper are mostly sun loving varieties, but along the northern approach there are several shade gardens.

Thumbnail by DonShirer
Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

They have many bushes and trees planted along the bridge even though the soil bed looks quite shallow. The Deerfield river is in the background here.

Thumbnail by DonShirer
Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

There were several different specimens of these along the path. New to me, they look something like Passionflowers.

Thumbnail by DonShirer
Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

I wish my lupes were as fat as these!

Thumbnail by DonShirer
Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

I admire alliums that stand up straight. Better picture of the river, too.

Thumbnail by DonShirer
Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

Beneath the dam, just downstream from the bridge, are a series of potholes ground into the river bed by scouring pebbles caught in eddies. They say the world's largest pothole is here, but I'm not sure if it is in this picture. OK, I'll quit now, but do go and enjoy Shelbourne Falls if you get a chance. It is just south of MA Rt. 2 west of Greenfield.

Thumbnail by DonShirer
Upper Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 5a)

Looks like a wonderful way to spend a sunny afternoon. Thanks for the pics Don - love them! Eleanor

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

thank you for sharing that... it's a wonderful memorial... but what's with the pass at own risk?

here is the one you thought looked like a passionflower... i love them.. such a great annual
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/159818/

Agawam, MA(Zone 6a)

DonShirer,
I'm sorry to say that I live in Agawam, MA & have never seen Shelbourne Falls Flower Bridge. I must thank you for the wonderful pictures. I've also put it on my list as a must this summer.
Thanks
Debbie

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

I think "pass at your own risk" refers to the traffic jam of prams and wheelchairs encountered along the way. One energetic older lady was merrily zooming along in an powered buggy enthusiastically shouting "toot toot!" to warn us slow poky pedestrians to make room for electric drag racers.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Thanks Don - great memorial!

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

Don:

Thanks for the great tour of the bridge. What a great place it must be to visit this time of year. Like Deb, I'll have to add it to my 'must see' places list.

It's gorgeous!!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Very nice Don.....i'll have to stop by some day!

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Gosh Don, I expected to see this post from Boojum. I was wondering what was going on at the bridge now that I'm not making pilgrimages up to Smith College. Sure do miss that special place and the committed community. We loved to picnic by the Deerfield river.

If you N.E.sters live within a day trip, try to see the bridge. The bridge is lovely, but not a day. However, the whole area is so beautiful and there is so much to see. They even have dinosaur tracks!

Laurel

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

Very nice Don! Added to my list too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.