April Lilac

Kerhonkson, NY(Zone 5a)

My cousin in Maine has a medium sized shrub he calls April Lilac ... it looks nothing like a lilac, has flowers that originate at the branches before the leaves and later has red berries ... do any Maine-iacs or others know the real name of this shrub? (Yes, I'm from Maine originally too ... but I've never heard of this.)

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

The only thing I can think of with flowers along the branches is a Redbud tree. They are gorgeous.

Kerhonkson, NY(Zone 5a)

Not a redbud ...a small-medium bush ...

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

Do you have a photo of it that you can upload?

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

What color are the flowers?
The only thing I can thing of that flowers before it leafs out is a Spice Bush or Pussy Willows but I don't know if either puts out a berry or not.

This message was edited Jun 2, 2008 9:24 PM

Nassau County, NY(Zone 7a)

Pic please!

Kerhonkson, NY(Zone 5a)

Sorry can't do a pic ... leaving Maine tonight ...

It grows in swampy areas in Maine ... will try to take a picture next time I go there ... thanks anyway! Not sure of the color of the flowers but the berries are red ... and the flowers and berries are definitely along the branch ...

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Red Chokeberry (Photinia pyrifolia)?

On the news last night it had a guy that has been pollinating his lilac trees for years and now he has RED lilacs. They have not got the story up yet. Here is the news link.

www.wmur.com/chronicle/index.html

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

I saw that one, too, Sherrie. The kids were making an awful racket and couldn't hear all of it. I especially wanted to hear about the pruning, and when to do it. He's a retired UNH professor and he had been researching New Hampshire's lilacs forever!

So I look for the link later and see if I can hear what I missed on last night's program.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.