**Do you grow any Louisiana Iris? I Need your opinion! **

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 7b)

Please help, so I know how many to order from Terry's co-op.
I need to know about how big a diameter clump I would have if I started with a 4 fan iris, how big it would be after a 3-4 years?
I want to fill in my open spring spots without overtaking the summer perennials that would be coming up right after the iris are done. Calla, Tuberose, texas tarragon, zinnia, cuphea melvillia and tall phlox would be starting to sprout right after the iris.

thanks,
chris

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

If well cared for feed and watered they will make 3 to 4 new increases a year for me . they multiply for me much faster than TB

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

The Louisiana's increase quite heavily for me too. In 3 years time one plant (one rhizome) will give me anywhere from 9 to18 new plants - - depending on it's growth habits. So, in 3 years (with you starting with 4 individual plants or rhizomes) you'll probably have anywhere between 27 to 72 new plants. If it is only one plant you are starting with (it doesn't matter how many leaves on i)t - then you will probably have anywhere from 9 to 18 new plants.

It sounds as if you'll have a lovely garden! ^_^

~Margie

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 7b)

Wow! they might not be able to all go where I wanted them.
Maybe just a few. They would only be able to get about 18" in diameter circle before they would interfere with something else. I will still be able to plant a few, just not use as a spot filler like I thought.
That really helps,
Thanks Margie and Tazzy.

chris

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.