Look what I found at Home Depot !

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I was leaving the Garden Section of Home Depot the other day and almost walked right past this adenium, which was stuffed among some other plants. Seems they have been keeping it quite wet. It was saturated, and I had to pour water from it's saucer. It has very nice new growth and is setting buds. It's about 4" across the base and stands about 18" tall. I couldn't pass it up for $14.95.

Dan

Thumbnail by zacattack
Copenhagen, Denmark(Zone 7b)

Dan, such an Adenium would cost around 35-40 USD around here! Lovely plant.:-) Do keep us posted when the buds open.

Best regards,

Martin

Mountlake Terrace, WA(Zone 8a)

That is one great score!

It certainly beats my 4 Adeniums in 4" pots for $1.97 each. It is quite a nice plant with a beautiful caudex. I too would have snapped it up.

Southern Dutchess Co, NY(Zone 5b)

Very nice adenium! The HD near me never carries them, but we have a good nursery close by who does starting at $25. I did find one at a Lowe's upstate where my son attends college for about the same price you paid and grabbed it. It isn't quite like my adenium obesum, since the leaves have sort of a fuzzy feel.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the comments... I don't grow many potted plants, but could easily become addicted to these. After reading through some of the older threads, I think I'll look more closely at Wal Walmart, Lowes. etc. the next time I'm there. I've enjoyed learning from you folks... please keep the info and photos coming. I'll post a photo of this one when it blooms.

Hope all of you have a good day, Dan

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

must suppress jealousy....must suppress jealousy....must suppress jealousy....
Congrats on a great buy!

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

Very good buy!

I was at one of ours a while back, and came across one with lots of new growth. The funny part is that it was originally a grafted plant, and all the growth was coming from the root stock. If you parted the foliage, you could see where the graft had been, and then died back.

Chris

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

allgr8dogs.. Thanks for commenting. I hope you come across a lucky find too.

Chris... Thanks for info on grafted plants. I am new at growing Caudiciforms, and any info tossed my way is certainly appreciated. Now if you decide to start hybridizing bearded iris, just give me a shout.

Hope you both have a great weekend, Dan

My Home Depot Adenium is starting to flower up. Does anyone recognize it as a cultivar?

Joseph

Thumbnail by
Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

Hi Joseph,

That's your standard picotee, and not a named variety. Now and then you'll find a grafted variety at HD, but they rarely differentiate.

Chris

Thanks, Chris. It's good to learn and make the mistakes with this type, then move to the more expensive varieties.

Joseph

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

First bloom from my Home Depot find. Not setting many buds... just a little new green growth.

Thumbnail by zacattack
Plumiedelphia, PA(Zone 7a)

Looks like a standard or hybrid Obesum
Nothing fancy species wise but a great buy and you can graft into her for sure if u like.
Nice find pal.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.