Mini Round Up in Calgary

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Heads up folks!

Ginny ( Inanda) will be in Calgary Saturday 21 June. In the morning she will be presenting an Iris Workshop at the Calgary Horticultural Society. Check the events at the website ( calhort.org) for details - there is still room. Workshops are open to both members and non-members - you just pay a bit more if you are not a member.

I will be hosting a pot luck supper at my home on Saturday evening.
Please post here if you plan to come - we can sort out food closer to the date but I'd like to get an idea of numbers.

Ginny will actually be here Friday so if you can't make it for supper on Saturday you can drop over to visit on Friday evening. Bring a snack and we can even do a plant exchange if anybody wishes.

Post here and I will D mail you time and location information.

carolvan

Thumbnail by fancyvan
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I'm there with bees on my toes ^_^.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I'll try to get over for a quick visit on Friday if I can. Is Ginny leaving Sunday?

Joanne

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Carol
Hi
I am planning on getting to Calgary about 430 ish , a bit earlier if I miss lunch at work. Saturday for pot luck is a count me in please.
Ann

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

If we don't go to the farm, I will be there.

Joanne

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Joanne Ginny is leaving early Sunday morning.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

ooh ooh ooh - count me in!! wooooooooo hooooooooooo!

I'll be there on Saturday, too, thank you!
When you say "plant exchange" are you talking about Friday, only?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Plant exchange whenever- of course if you want you can come both Friday and Saturday. !

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Mostly what I have is what I can divide......... Oxalis (purple or green - your choice lol - oh & I have seeds, too), and Cleome or morning glory seeds. Except for the "failed" datura seeds, I don't really plant anything exotic.

I'm still waiting for the Cane Begonia I got a slip of, to root (I'm soooooooooo happy about that, cuz No One seems to grow it anymore.......), otherwise I'd bring a slip - it's such a beautiful plant with gorgeous clusters of fragrant flowers! It's a tropical, but you can put it outside in a pot, in the summer. Gosh I wish it would root quickly - maybe I can bring a slip?!?!

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Here's a pic of the purple oxalis (or wood sorrel)!

This message was edited Jun 3, 2008 5:36 PM

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Hey I would love some of that purple oxalis!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Moi aussi Tallulh!! for the purple oxalis. It will be a beauty in my clover bed. What do you need? You have to come over to pick a division of something.

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Tallulh
Hi That purple oxalis looks mighty interesting if there will be enough! I have some baby liatrus(pink), baby Pasque flowers(purple) I also have some baby volunteer godetia.
Ann

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

it's not a perennial - but I grow it in a hanging basket outside during the summer, and it can be moved inside over the winter.
The lady I got the seed from had one growing for 7 years in her house.
It has little tubers, and I forget how she got the seeds, but it's just like the shamrock you get around St. Pat's day - except the flowers on the shamrock are white.

I have seeds enough for all 3 of you!

Ann - I guess I'll see you @ FancyVan's on the 21st, eh? I'll give all 3 of you some seeds, then! :-)

-Susan-

This message was edited Jun 3, 2008 8:18 PM

Calgary, Canada

I will be ther Carol. I have purple oxalis which I grow inside year round. I have never thought of putting it outside. Shade? Sun? Do the tubers have a dormant period then?

Theresa

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Susan Yes I will be there for the Saturday.
Carol just let me know what you may want or need for the pot luck I'll be happy to bring it. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone again.
Ann

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

They love sun, Theresa. I used to put them in a very windy area, but that meant I needed to water them all the more!! lol I know they thrived in Winnipeg's hot weather, and my purple & my green oxalis love the south facing I have them in now. My green one is full of blooms! 'course it's the rain they love, too!

Ann - you seem to be excited about coming to the potluck - posting 2x!! lol
I'm really looking forward to meeting every1!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Ok I'm in. We are going to the farm the last weekend of June. Are you assigning the food course for the potluck or do we bring what ever?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I will let you know what I am making for a main course ( it will probably be a chicken and rice casserole) and then you can chose salad, sidedish, or dessert . More next week! Need to have a better handle on numbers. I think I will send out a D-mail to anybody in the area.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Back home, safe & sound....... Yikers what a downpour it was, going down the Deerfoot! At one time it was so bad I could hardly see in front - cars to the right were see-able, and I had the rail to my left, so I was ok, but I missed the 16th Ave turnoff cuz I couldn't see it lol Ah well......... was easy enuff to turn around. Traffic was fairly light & it was easy enuff to move to the right.

I only mention all of the above cuz I've only been driving for 2 1/2 weeks (not since end of July 06 when we moved here) and first time on the Deerfoot & to go to other end of city What an adventure that was!! Wouldn't have traded that for the world!

Joanne - thanks again for the Workshop - I've got the 2 halves of my Succulant Ball on my potting table outside, and they'll do well there, I'm sure.
It was great to be able to meet all the Calgary DG'ers and Hort Society peeps. Great bunch of gals - look forward to FancyVan's potluck so we can meet
again :-) plus new friends to meet :-)

Susan

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

OK folks:

I think I have everybody's email except maybe Ann (annabell) .

Ann can you D-mail me your email so I send out a group email re food for next Saturday.

JUst so you can all start thinking:

There are 7 names on the list and I might invite a couple more.

I am making a chicken/rice casserole ( truth to tell its what I served last year too!)

Les (Dahlianut) is bringing biscuits and a green salad. So we need some munchies to start with, a couple of side dishes and a couple of desserts. And everybody pbring whatever they want to drink - I will have coffee and tea and juice or lemonade.

I am thinking for folks to come over between 4-5pom , we can do a plant exchange and chat and munch and eat maybe about 6pm.

Anybody in town who cannot come on Saturday and would like to meet Ginny come over Friday night but let me know please.

carolvan

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Hi Hi, Fancy.
I'll certainly be by (cutting the yard sale short that day!) around 5ish.
I can bring a pasta side - taters, k?
I think you d-mailed me your addy, so I'll check.

btw ev1 in Calgary June 21st & 22nd - there is a multi-family YARD SALE in the trailer court I live in - Midfield Trailer Park on 16th NE, near Deerfoot.. There are 183 trailers, so even if only 1/2 have a sale, that's still a lot of places lol
I imagine after the rain we've been having, people will be thrillled to get out on their decks lol

This message was edited Jun 15, 2008 7:50 AM

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Carol
Hi
I will D mail you- I have been running with my daughters Bday and Dads day today so I have not been on the computer.
Ann

Calgary, Canada

I will volunteer to bring a dessert if this is still needed. Should we all bring a beverage? Theresa

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Hi all:

I have sent this email to those who have indicated they will come for supper on Saturday 21st.

Supper:

I am making a chicken and rice casserole.

Les has volunteered biscuits and a green salad

Susan has volunteered a side dish

Theresa has volunteered a dessert.

So I think what we need to add is some pre dinner munchies, maybe another side dish and a dessert.

Please bring whatever you like to drink. I will have coffee, Tea and juice.

I have 7 names on the list - might add another 1-2 by invitation.

Time: Anytime after 4pm to munch and share and maybe eat about 6pm.

Bring plants if you want to share!

If anybody else is coming please Dmail me directly or email if you have it.

If you cant come Saturday and would like to drop over on Friday evening for a bit please let me know.

carolvan

Gardeners tend to soil their plants

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Well here we all are in my garden - now you know why it was a mini Round up!
From lthe left: Violist (Theresa), Dahlianut (Les),Joannabanana (Jo-South) ,Tallulah 41 (Susan) Annabell 52 (Ann), in front Fancyvan (Carol) and Inanda (GInny) ( Plus Fancy and Bailey!)

Ginny arrived on Friday and we did a little bit of puttering around, then Saturday morning she taught a great Iris workshop, lots of hands on to some Hort Society members. She brough irisis for all and we had a great door prize of a Spuria Iris.
Then I took Ginny for a tour of Lougheed House where I volunteer - 1891 restored mansion.
The crowd arrived late afternoon for a pot luck supper and a few plants were exchanged.The weather was great and we were able to eat outside.

Just so you know what you missed - including the great company of course here is how the menu worked out:

Miniature quiches, Salsa and French Bread
Roasted Red Pepper Humuus and pita chips.
Chicken and Rice Casserole with veggies.
Pasta side dish
Green Salad
Home Made buns

Rhubarb Pie
Mini cream puffs ,plain and chocolate dipped.

Ice cream cherry brandy punch
Ice Tea
Red and White wine.
Coffee.

Here is the casserole recipe for those who asked.

1 Box Uncle Bens long grain and wild rice
2 tbsp butter
4 chicken halves ( I use about 8 chicken thighs, skinned and boned)
1/4 pkg onion soup mix
1 cup sliced muchrooms
1/2 cup red/green sweet pepper cut into slices or cubes
Optional: Sliced onions
1 10oz can cream of mushroom soup
1 soup can of water

Put rice in 9x13 pan with spices and stir together, dot with butter.
Arrange chicken on top, sprinkle with soup mix.
Arrange veggies on top.
Blend soup and water, heat and pour over all.
Cover pan with foil,Bake 50 minutes, 350F, remove foil and bake uncovered for 10 mins.

I usually make a full pan for myself, eat a couple portions and divide up the rest into small containers and freeze.

Thumbnail by fancyvan
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Sorry I missed what was obviously a great gathering! Was really looking forward to meeting Ginny and Ann too. Hopefully I'll get to do so another time....

I was the chief cook and organizer for a surprise 65th birthday party for my Mom yesterday. Went off without a hitch, she was totally surprised, everyone showed up that was supposed to, and I had enough food for twice as many people as we invited. LOL. We will be eating potato salad and coleslaw for days...

Joanne

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

hahahahaha Carol & I look so SOLEMN......... too funny!!

(btw - the pic is called "Majesty of Gaia" - so appropriate, doncha think, seeing as how Gaia is the spirit of Mother Earth?)

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Violist - thanks for heading me in the right direction to get home :-)
and so sorry I forgot to give you your Oxalis seeds........ darn, I was being forgetful that day! I forgot the rhubarb, too.......... siiiiiiiiiiiiigh, is oldsheimer's setting in?!

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B
Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

A big thanks to Carol for hosting again! We had a wonderful meal in a super garden!
The trades went off excellently as well!
Time was too short as usual.
Ann

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

A total kiss to fancyvan for being the hostess with the mostess!!! and again I ask why do I always look like road kill or tipsy in pics???? LOL

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Ever nice to fit some faces to the names! I bet you all had such a lovely, fun day ..... and the food - OMG!

Sandy

Orangeville, ON(Zone 4b)

What a nice looking bunch of ladies & furry friends........great to see all of you! Oh yeah, the food.....double yum!!

dahlianut, you don't look like road kill or drunk.....you just look real happy to be where you're at!

Erynne

Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

Nice to have faces for the names. You all look great and that you had a great time.

Calgary, Canada

Thanks Carol for another fine gathering. I tucked my treasures into the ground right away: the dahlias, the petunias, and the itsy bitsy sedums! Great to see you all again and good luck with your garden in the competition, Carol. It looks beautiful! My family is amazed to know that there are others out there as obsessive as myself.

Good eating too! Theresa

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Bump!

It's Spring 2009, and time to think about another Mini-Roundup in Calgary!

Carol has hosted it for the past 2 years, and I will organize it, but don't have room in my trailer if it's inclement weather (have loads of room on my deck - 16x19' - for an outdoor one, however....)
As I said, I'll organize it (I love organizing lol), and if someone will offer their home, that would be fantastic!
So - all our 'buds' who want to have a Calgary mini-roundup, and visit from near & far - please let me know what dates are good for you.
Carol is away June 18/19, and long weekend, and it wouldn't be the same without her, of course. As well, I have company on the following w/e - Aug 8/9.

Please let me know

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Count me in please. I will do my best to make what ever weekend you pick.
Just a check on dates, I thought Carol was busy the July weekend of 18-19? I am not positive but that is what I had marked in the winter. ( I think she is staying with me that weekend).
We could use my house but you would all have to come to Edmonton, LOL.
Ann

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Yes I am in Edmonton 18/19 July.

Please dont add onto this thead for 2009 - it is long and will get confusing.
Susan has made a new thread for this year:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/990419/

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

oh ouch - can't tell my June from my July LOL
thanks for posting the link to my new thread, Carol :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.