What kind of fern grows on a palm trunk?

Arua, Uganda(Zone 11)

Everyday I drove up a road that had some beautiful ferns growing on a Borassus Palm. As we get a three to four month dry season here in Uganda I was quite suprised. I always meant to take a photo but never quite got round to it. When the rains arrived and a new set of fronds would duely emerge. Then last week they widened the road and knocked over the palm! So I took to opportunity to get some of these ferns. Anyone know what they are?

The root fibres went right under the old palm fronds. How do I grow this kind of fern? I tried it in soil and it has not done well. so I am now trying it on old brick dust and compost for better drainage (potting materials are in short supply here).

Thumbnail by Mvule
Arua, Uganda(Zone 11)

Here is another shot showing a leaf better. John

Thumbnail by Mvule
Arua, Uganda(Zone 11)

Here I have potted them up. I hope to try 'grafting' one onto a smaller Borrasus palm we have growing. Not sure how though!

Thumbnail by Mvule
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

A species of Davallia

There's about 30 species in the genus; this link states two species in Africa:
http://homepages.caverock.net.nz/~bj/fern/davallia.htm

Resin

Growing info - as you've found, they are epiphytes growing on trees with rough bark. Any palm would do. They are also easy to grow in pots in coarse sandy soil, but will eventually surround the pot with those rhizomes.

Here's a pic of a D. canariensis in a pot.

Resin

Thumbnail by Resin

Sorry, forgot to say - just tie some pieces of rhizome to the trunk, and spray with water during any very long dry spells, until it is established. They are very drought tolerant.

Resin

Arua, Uganda(Zone 11)

Hey thanks Resin that is great. I guess there is no easy way of identifying it down to species level with out being a botanist?

Thanks for the tip on how to graft it onto a palm I will try that tomorrow!

John

There's only two species in tropical Africa, looking around, these are Davallia denticulata and Davallia repens; looking at pics online, the former looks the better bet, and is native in Uganda: http://www.aluka.org/action/showMetadata?doi=10.5555/AL.AP.FLORA.FTEA004311&pgs= so I guess fairly safe to say that is it.

As a technical PS, being an epiphyte, placing it on a tree isn't grafting, just 'hitching a ride'.

Resin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.