Ivy geranium supports

Union Dale, PA

I was in Umbria Italy in May and I noticed that pots of ivy geraniums had a circular plastic support around the plant to act as a support to keep the plant up off the dirt and to ( I presume) make the plant cascade more prettily as it grew. I failed to ask anyone if these supports could be purchased there, or if gardeners simply made their own from circular plastic baskets? I live in Pennsylvania and have been gardening for many years and have never seen anything like this done here or available here. I'm interested to know if these supports are available for purchase, on the web or elsewhere? I've never had much luck with my ivy geraniums, and I think that a support would really improve the appearance and the health of the plant. Any ideas or suggestions are most welcomed. Debbie K.

Sheffield, United Kingdom(Zone 7b)

Hi Debbie,

I bought a plant from a show last year and that had plastic circle - like a basket that clipped round the edge of the pot lifting and protecting the plant. I thought it seemed like a good idea, but have never seen them on sale. I'll keep a look out for them and let you know if I find them. Sorry not to be more help.

Pat

Sheffield, United Kingdom(Zone 7b)

The one I have is made by Soparco and is a 17 cm Sopafix. The company is based in France and has factories in a few other European countries. You can look it up on their web site and see if that is what you mean. The larger ones have more squares - mine is three squares high. They seem to be for professional horticulture, so you would probably have to buy in bulk if you wanted any.

Hope this is of help.

Pat

Union Dale, PA

Thank you both. It's good to know that I wasn't "seeing" things!

Union Dale, PA

Ok I looked at the sopafix and that's close but the little support I saw sat right on the soil and the ivy geranium was brought up and over the rim of the support. It was only three inches high(there may have been some embedded into the soil to keep it stable). It reminded me of a small round plastic basket with the bottom cut out. Maybe that is what it actually was!! My landlord there had stakes with a string attached placed in a circle.

Oh well, I'll continue looking for some round plastic baskets!

Thanks Pat!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.