What's Blooming Now In Western PA

Beaver Falls, PA(Zone 6a)

I have so enjoyed all the pictures everyone has posted here and wanted to share some of mine. The TB's are really going gang-busters right now. Any that I don't have ID's for, I'd love to hear your suggestions. My SDB's are just finishing up. Here's Cat's Eye - the last bloom is on this plant now.

Thumbnail by Igrowinpa

Fast Forward is still blooming. Some of the falls have broken colors.

Thumbnail by Igrowinpa

Speaking of broken colors, here's Batik. New this year.

Thumbnail by Igrowinpa

Gnus Flash, also new this year.

Thumbnail by Igrowinpa

Scandalous, a MTB just finished up.

Thumbnail by Igrowinpa

Helen Collingwood might be an oldie, but she's a goodie. Such pretty colors.

Thumbnail by Igrowinpa

Raspberry Acres. First year and full of blooms.

Thumbnail by Igrowinpa
Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Just beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Baby Boom has it's last two flowers today. This is an earlier picture.

Thumbnail by Igrowinpa

You're welcome Julianna. You've been sharing some wonderful pictures yourself! Your garden must be full of color right now too.

Here's Victoria Falls - FFO.

Thumbnail by Igrowinpa

Iris albicans

Thumbnail by Igrowinpa

This noid look like a lemon icy. White with just a hint of yellow, especially at the hafts. At least 40 inches tall and fragrant. Lots of ruffles, and it's fragrant too. Any ideas?

Thumbnail by Igrowinpa

Any ideas on this one? Ramses perhaps? It's definitely an historical.

Thumbnail by Igrowinpa

Spiced Custard

Thumbnail by Igrowinpa

Pride Of Ireland.

Thumbnail by Igrowinpa

Marauder twins

Thumbnail by Igrowinpa

THANK YOU Julianna for this one. I have it next to the screened-in porch so that I can look out and see it. Siberian Iris Sky Wings. I love it. It's loaded with buds this year.

This message was edited May 30, 2008 9:16 PM

Thumbnail by Igrowinpa
Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Linda, I love it too but I do not have Sky Wings. Do not know who gave it to you but when you do have extra I would love a piece. Think it might be Ramses too, will check later with my photos of Ramses but had quite a few blooms today to label photos on. Will get them posted when have time. Am enjoying your blooms very much.

Texas/Okla central b, United States(Zone 7b)

Ramses has more pinky purple in the standards....yours seems to have more yellow

Texas/Okla central b, United States(Zone 7b)

Marauder certainly has a beautiful color. I have Pride of Irland but for some reason it didn't bloom this year. You do have some beauties. I love the lemon icy and Helen Collingwood has long been a favorite. Thanks for keeping spring alive. We are well into summer here already hot and humid

You are right jackie, but it seems that the older the bloom, the more the yellow shows up. When the blooms were new (and these have been out several days now), they were actually less colorful. More like a beigey-rose. I noticed that they seemed to light up and turn more yellow at the bottom as they aged. I'll get a shot of a new bloom in the next few days and post it to show you the difference. It was very strange how they changed.

Julianna, I could have sworn that Sky Wings came from you. I planted it right next to the Light Before Dawn Ensata that you sent me. These came in fall of '06, after we moved. Anyway, you are welcome to it when I divide it.

LInda

Marauder is quite a different sort of color. I'd call it a black/burgundy. This is it's first year, and my only complaint is how short the scape is. I'll have to move it up front so I can enjoy it more. For a TB, it's really short. I think there is only one scape on it this year, and perhaps it will be taller next year. I have some TB's that have multiple scapes, and some are very low, down inside the plant. Others on the same plant are much taller.

And could you please keep that hot and humid weather over there? That is one part of summer that I'm not looking forward to. We have been mostly below normal this spring, and I'm enjoying it. I hate giving all my "plant money" to the electric company when the humidity starts coming our way! Yuck!!!!

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

FAST FORWARD sure is a beautiful IB. I hear it reblooms in some places.

~ Margie

Upper Saint Clair, PA(Zone 6a)

Hi Linda, good to be in contact again. I love the iris. Yes, the show has finally started in Western PA. Here's my fav - Best Bet.

Linda

Thumbnail by linjasar
Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Let's see I split up Papillon by W. R. Dykes and Silver Edge and Ivory Cream but I definately do not have Sky Wings. Will take you up on it later when it is big enough.

Light At Dawn is an historic ensata. Mine probably won't bloom this year because I divided it last year. Hope your does bloom. grin.

Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Okay I dug around for my Ramses pic and it looks like Ramses to me. TB around 40" tallML season Standards deep olive buff to avaneous. Goodness what does that last word mean? Falls flushed argyle purple yellow in the haft area around the veining. No pbf. If it matches this then I'd say it is Ramses. Mine came from HIPS 2005 sale.

This message was edited May 31, 2008 7:48 PM

Thumbnail by Mainer
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Lots of nice ones. I really like Gnus Flash and Fast Forward.

Susan

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

They are all beautiful, do you remember where you purchased "Spiced Custard?"

mrsj, Spiced Custard came in a trade via a local friend. She got it in a trade and shared with me. It is such a rich color, isn't it? Most of these were planted last summer, and I had no idea what to expect before they bloomed. If you would like to keep my Id here at Dave's, I will be able to share SC in the coming years. Perhaps even next year if I get increase.

susan, I really like those two too! It will be interesting to see in future years if I get rebloom on Fast Forward, as Margie mentioned. Gnus Flash and Batik are my first broken color iris. I was at a friend's house yesterday and she had one that she bought as Sugar Blues. It was not, but it was a lavender broken color and I loved it. May have to get some off of her when she gets increase.

Hi Linda. I hope everything is going good in Sarver. Speaking of Best Bet, I was over at Tanya's (She came to the plant swap with me last year) and Best Bet was blooming there. It's just lovely. The two shades of blue really make it a looker in the garden.

Julianna, I agree that my noid historical looks alot like Ramses. Silver Edge, that I know you gave me, is a very nice sized clump this year and it's loaded with blooms. It should open soon and I can't wait to see it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on Light Before Dawn. I have buds coming on Butter and Sugar, bought at Bluestone Perennials, and on two that lost their tags in the move. I will be posting them to see if anyone can help me id them. I have a master list of my Siberians, so I will be able to narrow down names using the flower color. Of course, you are always welcome to anything I have,and I'll be happy to share Sky Wings. What an unusual color it is.

Linda

Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Thanks Linda, the same goes here if I have extras.
Julianna

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.