name this plant

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

My sister gave me two of these and I don't know what they are. Help please. Thanks Bev

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

another view

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

last one

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Looks like Artemisia vulgaris, possibly 'Oriental Limelight' although there may be other variegated cultivars too http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/48861/ They tend to be rather aggressive spreaders in many climates, so you may want to keep it in a pot.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks ecrane. BEV

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Ohhhhh one of my fav plants. I trim mine back really low and it doesn't get as spindly when it starts to bloom. Sooooo pretty mixed with white daisies and irises!

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

What color are the blooms. In Plant Files it says that it doesn't bloom. Thanks BEV

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

They are either a lavender color or white or yellow, I can't remember. They aren't spectacular though. Ill take a pic when mine bloom and upload it later in the year. ^_^

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks alot BEV

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

If unchecked, this artemsia can command a stunning presence. Pic is from last fall when they'd attained maximum height and started to keel over from winds.

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

a 'ghostly' presence...

Thumbnail by jmorth
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

dragonfly, this Artemisia really is a lovely plant, however ecrane's right, it IS aggressive, extremely!!! This is one of those plants that I wish I had never planted :( It's been over five years and my valiant efforts to remove it from the gardens are still failing. Any piece of root left in the ground, however small, will send runners throughout the garden and I'm still finding them every year, sometimes as far away as 12' from the original planting!!

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

I echo rcn48's statement. After removing it from a bed 2 years ago, I am still pulling runners out from the lawn. I shudder when I pass it in a nursery, thinking of that poor unsuspecting soul that will unleash it in their garden.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

I'm in a quandry. I planted 2 of these last year in my deep shade bed, in a spot that's tough to get plants to grow. Right now, the centers of the plant have not come back, just a number of stems at the perimeter of the original plants. However, I did see one popping up about 2 feet away. There is no barrier between it and my large bed. Do you all think I should rip it out? The wildlife have been decimating my plants in this area. Thanks, Mary

Piedmont, AL(Zone 7b)

I have the same experience Cali_Sue and rcn had and what ecrane referenced....Its a nice looking plant and works with lots of other stuff but for my situation, and its the only one I know well, well its wayyyyyyyy too invasive, spreading, hoggish or whatever you want to call it.....but looks great in a green pot.....:)

Paul from Alabama

Just keep the pot with cement under it! ^_^

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Will dig it and put it in a pot. Thanks all. Will it over winter in pot or have to put it in garage? BEV

Piedmont, AL(Zone 7b)

I heard Cali_Sue once put a pot of Gooseneck Loosestrife Lysimachia clethroides in a bank vault in L.A. but I don't know if there's any truth to it or not.......:)

Paul from Alabama

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Paul, that's pretty funny!!! I once knew someone who was angry with their bank who locked some raw fish in their safety deposit box!!!! Mary

Yeah, and from that bank vault, it still got loose, reached me 8 hrs away. Pesky thing!

Piedmont, AL(Zone 7b)

Mary, I promise you I forgot all about that putting that fish in there......those kinds of things can happen when they charge me $3 to get $10 out of my checking account........:)

Paul from Alabama

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Well I did it! Bit the bullet and ripped them out. I'm surprised at what little central root system there seemed to be. I'll wait & see if anymore come back. That hill is now looking awfully bare. Mary

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Mary, better "bare" than the battle you'd have on your hands if you had left it in there :)

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

You're right RCN. I'm into a 3 year struggle against wild vines. Seem to have won against several varieties. This year it's something that looks like a wild grape/ivy and also wild rose vines. I can't afford a war on two fronts!!! Mary

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.