Graft Care

Gaithersburg, MD(Zone 6b)

Reading a couple of JM books, I've found that "care of the graft" was supposed to be important. But I didn't think I needed to be concerned about it because I was buying already grafted trees. This was wrong. Graft care is important. I've had several trees die from the graft north.

Are there any good suggestions on what to do to care for young grafted trees? I'm talking about anything from a brand new graft to something that may have been grafted a couple of years ago. I've seen sealing as an important thing. What sort of things should I be using to seal them? I've seen taping to be important, and I've seen rubber wraps in use. I've also seen a yellow epoxy-like substance. What should I use, if anything? How do I apply? When can I remove? That sort of thing would be nice to know.

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

There is no magic bullet... none of the things you mentioned is relevant to end buyers... for grafters maybe but not for you ... With very young grafts keep in shade and don't overwater...I'd keep them in shade all summer 1st year and KEEP POTTED... for older 1-2 year grafts same thing but gradually move to part sun ... Never buy in winter or mid summer or fall ...spring only ...even new grafts properly cared for are a crap shoot from most sellers and most newbe buyers... 1-2 full year grafts should be fine ... although i would not plant out and keep them containerized a couple more years and bring in garage in winter ... unless very protected summer and winter. I personally don't recommend buying first year grafts period... save your money and buy a morwe mature tree..David

Gaithersburg, MD(Zone 6b)

ugh.

The problem I've seen is wilting leaves, then the graft dies. Shortly after, the host starts leaving out. Obviously there is a problem with the graft. I've read of water in the graft being an issue. But how do you tell what it needs to avoid this sort of thing?

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Any graft may initially take but soon thereafter die ... if the whole tree dies it's the RS which is diseased or overwatered. If only the graft dies it may have been bumped or not well grafted in the first place or had a disease ???...too much sun can also cause this once it dries up it's history... A graft that survives into it's second summer is likely ok ...again trhat is why i don't recommend buying young grafts ... The grower themselves will have a certain amount of them die the first year in most cases ( except exceptionally refined growing conditions ...pro operations. ... why would you want to take the chance. As the saying goes penny wise pound foolish sometimes you can get a good deal and itr works out .... but that is not oft the case...And this is something we all have done ebay is enticing... I have bought young grafts there and some have done just fine..David

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.