something chewed it

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

This 12" yellow iris was found on the ground. I picked it to allow the rest of the blooms to open, noticed the end of the stem was chewed from within.and was filled with small black mite like things, also a web at the base of the plant might not be pertenant.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

these are the ends of the stem
at the base

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

the other part

Thumbnail by ge1836
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Normally when one hears of iris stems or leaves being eaten from the inside, one assumes it's iris borers. But they're not small, black, mite-like things. Are the mite-like things alive?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

dunno and I sprayed with Bonide a month ago, can't believe the things lived thru it.
I didn't see any sign of a magot type bug but that doesn't mean it wasn't there, my eyes aren't what they used to be.
thanks for any advise Jo Ann

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I had several stems this year with damage... but the damage looked like a scooped-out "bite" on the side of the stem... Do rabbits like iris flower stems?

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Joanne,

I've had it happen where a critter chewed a hole in the stem, or chewed off the stem (probably a rabbit), and then bugs got in it. And they looked like the bugs you were describing.

I did nothing to them, and had no further damage. I think that the chewed off stem just gave the bugs a place to go.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I'll take that as an explanation and dose it w/ bonide again. It's time to spray for lily beetle anyway.
Jo Ann
I am likeing this forum,so many beautiful iris.

This message was edited May 30, 2008 9:52 AM

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

OK, so maybe rabbits do take chomps out of the sides of iris stems... the damage I saw on some was the right height for that, and heaven knows we have plenty of bunnies around!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

this bite was right at the ground level, i'm thinking not bunnies, I spray for critters, Liquid Fence application this AM thats how I found the fallen one.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

slug damage, maybe, and then the little black bugs moved in? I get little black bugs in my tomatoes where there's been damage...

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Sluggs sound like a better solution,my DD has an arsenal of stuff for them.

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Looks like voles or moles, if there is a small hole less than an inch near the plant voles got to your iris. I saw a lot of this at the regional and other than traps and bait there was little to be done. The first time i saw it I thought it was te bees that kept flying in and out of the hole but they were just oppotunist finding a hole they did not have to dig to put a hive in it. There were traps set all over the garden and according to the owner, they had gotten rid of 40+ of the little buggers.

Anita

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.