Rhododendron Under a Maple?

Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Last Spring I planted a Rhododendron under a maple tree. It's about 2 1/2 to 3 feet away from the trunk of the maple. It did very well initially, bloomed profusely (had tons of buds on it when I planted it), and held it's own through the winter. This year, it seems to have stalled. There is very little new growth, no buds or blooms, and just looks like it stopped growing. There are no signs of pests or diseases. My mother's rhododendron, same type, bought from the same place, and planted at the same time as mine, is twice as big and bloomed beautifully this year.

Is the maple tree too much competition for it? Should I move it?

Cincinnati, OH

Rhododendron roots limit the growth of conifer roots. If they are planted away from main roots with a good amount of soil, that would be okay. Maples I think probably not.

Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Would this be a good time of the year to move it? It doesn't look like it's going to bloom anyway. Or should I give it the rest of the Spring and Summer and move it in the Fall? I really don't want to lose this.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Move it now. The sooner the better. It's condition isn't going to improve unless you do. You want those roots to have time to establish well before next winter. Maples have greedy roots. They are notorius for that. Choose and prepare your new planting sight. Water the rhododendron with a good soak. Move as large a root ball as you can get. Water it in as you backfill in the new hole. Mulch to a depth of 2-3 in. Keep the plant watered on a regular schedule for the remainder of the growing season and make sure it doesn't go into the winter with dry roots. No fertilizer with nitrogen. You could add a very modest amount of phosphate and potassium to the backfill but it should be in very small amounts or none at all. If you move it now and it likes its' new surroundings it might set buds this summer for you for next spring. Get out that shovel.

I'm assuming you plant at the right depth in mositure retentive, well drained soil with the right pH, in a rhododendron friendly exposure ( shade and no harsh winds).

southern willamette , OR(Zone 7a)

it can do all right under a maple, it needs lots of water to do this though, and to still maintain good drainage. And it likely won't live to a great old age, but you'll likely get quite a few years out of it though. What kind of a maple is it and how old? I'll post a picture of one scenario in my yard later this evening.

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Yes, it depends on the type of maple. I grow several types of shrubs under the canopy of a 20+ y/o Silver Maple, for example. However, I have not planted them close to the trunk, of course. The shrubs are 4-6' away or more from the trunk.

ahhhh I forgot that I was going to post a picture or two. Here's one. maple is on the right, left of the is a camellia and then a Rhody. Granted the maple is not all that large, but I still would've planted like that even if it were larger.

Thumbnail by redchic01

This picture is taken from the other side. I've had both the camellia and maple planted there for about 8 years.

Thumbnail by redchic01
Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

I am in awe of your ability to grow anything under a maple, especially a Silver Maple. Here they just suck the life right out of everything under them. Mulching, amending, close attention to watering and fertilizing are all to no avail. Even the tried and true hostas struggle.

That's so unfortunate for you! I wouldn't be able to plant a hardly a thing in my shade are if I couldn't do it next to a maple or a fir.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

I paid to have my next door neighbor's Silver Maple removed, after some convincing and also offering to foot the bill for a replacement tree. She never replanted! The roots just invaded some of the gardens to the point where I was losing things left and right. While I lost the shade, I gained a new conifer garden.

Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

I'm not sure what kind of maple it is, but it's about 20 to 30 feet high. Across from the Rhody, about 15 feet away, was a red maple as well. I think it was all just too much for it. I dug it up yesterday and moved it. It's now in my backyard far from any maple trees. Hopefully it will begin to flourish again. Thanks for all the advice!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.