Looking for a couple of rubarb plants

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I have tons of plants to trade, not veggie plants but others can anybody spare a couple plants?

just a couple, we're not really big fans, but i'd like a couple, are these perennial?

Durhamville, NY(Zone 5b)

Yes, rhubarb is perennial. Here in upstate NY rhubarb is in the midst of producing, well, rhubarb. Fall is the usual time to divide rhubarb. It will take a year or two to reach full production.

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

I have heard of some rhubarb in AZ. It would take some effort though.
Rhubarb requires a cold dormant period, to produce.
If you get enough winter that you do get a little frost in the ground you may be OK.
I could spare some good big roots, if you wanted to try it.
After I had fixed and canned all I wanted last year, I let it go to seed.

Fall is the best time to dig and divide it. However I had a small row of it one place we lived. I forgot about it when I had my garden plowed. When I saw all the roots that were turned up, I gathered them and planted them in another area. They took right off and still produced latter that same year.
Russ
Here is a pic of it seed stalks and all.

Thumbnail by randbponder
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

wow, nice photo

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

Ha ha haa.
Here check this out. I gave this tomato to this gal. She don't get around very well. But this perked her up. and she insisted that I at least take a picture of it. The tomato is just a couple oz short of 4lb.
On her 85th birthday, I used this picture to make her a birthday card. and said inside Wow look at that tomato with the tomato.
She really got a kick out of the card.

Thumbnail by randbponder
Bozeman, MT(Zone 4b)

Beautiful rhubarb, Russ.

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

I kind of think it is nice too. Especially since 30 years ago, there was one clump, under the shade of a cedar tree.
I left it there that first summer. Then in the Fall I dug up all the roots I could find. and moved them to the present location.
Under that tree they only had stalks that were about the size of a fat pencil. Where they are now, the stalks are like 1 and 1/2" thick and get around 18 to 24" long. Lots and lots of rhubarb pie, crisps and just plain rhubarb sauce.
SHISE now I'm drooling, Think I'll go make a pie. Sure hope it goes with sweet potato, cause I'm dieing to serve this one up.
I'll have to let you know later as I just gotta go fix it . LOL

Russ

Thumbnail by randbponder
Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

MMMMMMmmmmmm-mmmmm
Rhubarb crisp w/kiwi served hot with cool whip. Does go good with Marinated beef and onion with morel mushrooms.
With a side of Sweet potato with butter and a scant of pepper. and a little drizzle of the hot juice from the meat onion and mushrooms. MMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmm.

Think I just went to heaven and ate my first meal !
Hope my blood suggar will survive.
Had to apologize to DW as it probably really messed hers up.
Worth every sinful bite though.

Russ

Bozeman, MT(Zone 4b)

I'm jealous, Russ! Glad it was so good. I need to try growing sweet potatoes. I love them as french fries. Do they grow in Zone 4?

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

NorthernSeasons;
You bet they grow in zone 4. They do need about 100 days of good warm weather.. If you don't have a full 100 days of no frost, You can put down black plastic to warm the soil early spring. and plant when danger of any hard frost is past. they can be covered in case of a minor frost. Here in what they call 4b, I have no problem. Don't even use the black plastic trick. And in the event of an early frost before the 100 days, and if you didn't get them covered. You are still safe if you dig them right away. and though they may be slightly smaller. they will taste just as good as one that gets to a super size. I will send a pic of one hill's worth that DW helped dig.
These were Centennials.
This year I have added Vardaman as they are more of a bush type.
If they perform any where near as the centennials. I will be more than happy. Actually this year I have the Vards, Centennial, Georgia jet and Beaurgard's. I ordered what they called a Northern package.
In our IADGRU They are beginning to beg me for SP plants for our plant swaps. It is kind of funny, but I enjoy it. and they have the fun of growing their own sweet potatoes. I start pushing two or three Sweet potatoes to sprout in Feb. and by May I have quite a few plants. Then of course this year I ordered more as I wanted to try the Vardaman.

Plants are kind of hard to find this far North. But I still have a few that have just rooted. I would be happy to send some to you. These would be mixed some Centennial and a few Georgia jet. I have about 60 to 70 plants in already, so I will have enough without them. I always give some to several of our shut ins or to those who just can no longer garden.
One is the lady holding the tomato, just a couple posts back.
Russ

Thumbnail by randbponder
Bozeman, MT(Zone 4b)

If it wouldn't put you out, I would love as many as you're comfortable giving away. Let me know the postage and I'll send you funds to ship them to me. Thanks, Dee

P. S. You can d-mail with the specifics.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

you do grow some lovely sweet potatoes , their so plump and nice looking rich in color also.

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

Hey guys I apolgize for switching to sweet potatoes. LOL
Rhubarb doesn't look anything like SPs
Not sure how that came about, I do tend to ramble on a little though.

Northern I'll Dmail
Russ

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

No worries, at all. although I am getting kind of jealous all this rubarb and sweet taters you have LOL

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

Kathy_Ann; Maybe that makes us even. After a month of winter. I start to be envious of the warmer zones.
In another forum some of us Northern people were mailing back and forth with someone from NZ. Talk about zone envy. We had snow on top of 2" of ice and this little gal was planting her garden and getting ready for her first tomato of the season. LOL That was December. So we still had another 4 and a half to 5 months before we could even begin to work in the garden. But then the next month we had our seed catalogs to while away time in. Then finally our turn came. So maybe it isn't envy, just impatient. :>)
Russ

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Where's NZ at ?

Durhamville, NY(Zone 5b)

I assume NZ is New Zealand in the southern hemisphere seasons are opposite here.

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

That is correct, New Zealand.
DG is world wide.
Talk about differences in sayings, sometimes you just don't see why they didn't get what you said. And the reverse happens as well.
Nevertheless I do enjoy visiting over this garden fence.

Durhamville, NY(Zone 5b)

I remember our school had an exchange student from New Zealand when I was in high school. Between pronunciation and words meaning different things in NZ than in upsate NY we were always stopping her and asking if she meant what we thought she meant. It was both funny and educational.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

BTW< I'm stil looking for rubarb plants LOL

Bozeman, MT(Zone 4b)

Only the zone 2 & 3 folks will have them now. I would just wait until September when our plants die back. We'll all be able to send them then. Good luck.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

thanks

Central, ME(Zone 5a)

Kathy, I have a fairly new patch, but I am sure I can dig you up a few roots if you can wait a few weeks.
They are in full swing and I need to harvest and get them down to a size for digging. LOL
BTW, I am growing the squash seed we traded. Looks great. Cyndie

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I can wait as long as I need to. thanks just let me know when your ready, we'll work out a trade of some sort. Great on the squash, I love growing sqaush. Mine is looking rather puney right now, thinking of replanting now that it's hot again LOL

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

NorthernSeasons;
I'm holding the SPs yet, unless you decided not to try them this year. If so it's OK. I'll find a spot for them, as I do give a lot of taders away.
as well as other veggies.
Happy gardening!
Russ

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

Dee; Your SPs are on the way. I was a little late, for the cut off time to catch today's mail truck. But it helps to have the postmaster as a friend. The truck leaves here at 6:00 pm.
Some of the SPs are kind of small, but are rooted. All the bigger ones are Georgia Jets. Decided to leave soil on some of the larger plants.
They should do better if the roots are allowed to be straightened out a bit. Just rinse the potting soil off and dig the planting hole deep enough to keep the roots from being all doubled up. Last year I didn't watch that close an had a big surprise when I dug one hill..
I had to laugh but I knew some of the roots could have been shaped better.
Russ
Please let me know on the little ones progress.
Also if they prove satisfactory to you and you want more next year. You can hold one or two over and increase the humidity and heat a little and they should start to sprout. When the sprouts are at least 2" to 4" long, they can be broken off the potato, as close to the potato as possible. You can root them by placing the broken off sprout in water being careful not to allow the leaves to be submerged.
Or a good selection can be ordered from Steele's plant company.
Which is where I ordered the other varieties I wanted to try.
Although if I feel the need to send in an order in the future, I will probably pay extra for the priority shipping. So I could get them a little quicker.
A quite a few looked very sad and all had wilted. I was able to get the majority to revive though, so all was well.
Russ

Thumbnail by randbponder
Bozeman, MT(Zone 4b)

Thanks for the tips, Russ. Can't wait to get them. Dee

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.