What to do. What to do.

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

Here's one of the areas on the property that Anna wants to re-do into another gardening area. The photo doesn't show it very well, but it's a very steep hill and loaded with large rocks. The house sits way up at the top and the lawn is way down.

She thinks that terracing may be the answer, for starters. But neither of us have ever done this. Any suggestions would be very, very helpful.

This is a photo taken last evening from the lawn level.

Thumbnail by Candyce

And, more of a 'side' view of the project area.

Thumbnail by Candyce

Looking straight down to the lawn below. Did I mention that this is a steep hill? It's pretty steep.

Thumbnail by Candyce

Holy moley candyce, Good lord what are you going to do with all those rocks!

Maybe use them to terrace? Stepping stones for weeding purposes? Create a new rock garden somewhere else? Dunno right now. Gotta see how big the rocks are first.
The ones at the top of the hill will stay there, as they are forming a nice retaining wall right now.

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Candyce, is it full sun? Part sun? Shade? I wouldn't plant any water loving plants on a slope that steep. Here's a photo of one of my favorite rocky slopes. It's from Stonecrop Gardens close to where I live. This way, you wouldn't have to terrace it, which would be a lot of work.

Thumbnail by Sofonisba
Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

another pic of the slope

Thumbnail by Sofonisba

Harper, I am very impressed with that landscaping!!

This area gets sun for most of the day, from early morning until about 5 PM or so. I think I'll show Anna your photos and see what she thinks. Thank you.

Is that sedum and dianthus I see that you have planted there?

Gosh, Harper ... the more I stare at your photos, the more in love with them I become.

That's beautiful. I love the little stream running through.

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

I am very sorry to say, that I don't know what's planted there! LOL!! I visited this garden about a year ago. I took a few close-ups. I'll post them too.

Thumbnail by Sofonisba
Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

there's definitely dianthus in there.

Thumbnail by Sofonisba
Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

pretty!

Thumbnail by Sofonisba
Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

boy not included...

Thumbnail by Sofonisba
Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

more

Thumbnail by Sofonisba
Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

last one

Thumbnail by Sofonisba

Harper:

Thank you so much for finding and then posting those photos for me. Each one is prettier than the last. I see lots of different dianthus colors, but that's about all I truly recognize.

I'm certainly sold on doing the hillside this way, even if we can't include the water feature, which I would love to have. Now, to sell Anna on the idea.

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

They also had some compact conifers in there that I think look very nice on a rocky, hilly area.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Tough problem. Your slope is much steeper than the more gradual one in Harper's photos. Terracing is very nice but it's a lot of heavy work and it's tough when it's that steep. I would consider something that will trail down and anything that requires excellent drainage in full sun - drought resistant plants.

Can we come down and help? I am trying to get my husband to go to Kassia's - just started yesterday morning. We try to help people, in many ways, as we need guidence, in a good way not a theif way. I am sure my husband - Jim - will come down with an excavator and move earth. Maybe a mini RU like you and us and ?? I am new and dont know much. Learning.

You guys are the best!
Anna and I spoke briefly after supper about the project. She's determined to terrace so that she can plant roses there for her DH. I am not so sure that the hill that steep is the best place for roses, but right now she is undeterred.

Sherrie ~ once I talk to Anna and her DH, I'll let you know about your offer. But, you should know that you are welcome to come on down and visit at any time. My door's always open. Visitors just need enough patience to put up with our four cats and a 22-month-old little terror!

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

The two sites seem to have different rock types. One is Igneous, the other is Sedimentary. Sedimentary rocks lend themselves more to areas of soil erosion. The steep angle as Victor noted means constantly moving soil probably most notable during heavy rain and in the spring after the snow melts. I’ve seen soil and peat added then a nylon mesh placed over the entire slope in order to grow plants with deep roots through the mesh to hold the soil. The technique is more of a maintenance strategy than a beatification project though. I’ve seen this done next to highway roads and more recently on the slope of an old church built in the 1800’s which has a very steep grade surrounding two sides. I saw the church in Yonkers, NY last year though I don’t know the name of the church… it was the old architecture that caught my attention.

I remember seeing landscaping done like that, with the nylon mesh, and had thought that we might have to use that to keep the hill in place. But, I must admit that it hasn't moved much in the four years that we have been here. Perhaps it's all those glorious weeds keeping the hill in place?

Actually, there's more than weeds back there. About one-third of it is covered with native iris ~ can't remember the name of them off the top of my head.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.