spray 'n' grow

Hercules, CA

curious to find out how you view 'Spray-N-Grow'.
do you find it increases vegetable production in size?

in number of fruit and vegetables?

in taste?

any significant difference over other products?

are there things it is not good for?

thanks,
dean

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Would not garden without it. I use it with the Bill fertilizer and there is a noticable differance when I dont use it. I think it makes the tomatoes, especially, do more and taste better. I have been using it on my flowers for over 10 years. Only more recently started growing veggies.
I try to use it at least once a week. This afternoon, Im set for my once every-three-week spray with messenger. I just add them right togther. Its only drawback would be. You need to use all that you mixed, that day. It keeps forever unmixed.

pam

there is nothing you cant put it on. I find it especially helpful in the heat when things are tending to get stressed.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

As an aside, what kind of sprayer do you use? Bought one (shoot, can't remember the name) from HD. It worked all of 5 minutes. When I took it back they had 2 more returned the same day. Plastic, about $20.00

Thanks for a recommendation.

Christi

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

I am glad you posted this.

Is it really organic? They sent me a mailing but I couldn't figure out what's in the stuff.

BB

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Spray 'n' Grow used to have an analysis of the product at its website but I don't see it today. Trace amounts of various elements. Oregon Dept of Agriculture has its analysis of the product here:

http://www.oda.state.or.us/dbs/heavy_metal/detail.lasso?-op=eq&product_id=2655

0% amount of NPK.. The most of anything is 0.1% iron.

south central, PA(Zone 6b)

That's weird, how come OR state only has iron and zinc as "guaranteed"? Anyway,

Here's the new Spray N Grow "analysis" (not very scientific):
http://www.spray-n-growgardening.com/35.asp

Here's a thread for Spray N Grow:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/803897/

Some of us plan to use it and report results. So far I don't have much growing, but will soon. Groundhogs and/or bunnies ate all my peas!

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I think every year there is someone on Daves doing an experiment. So far, I think its always gone in Spray and grows favor. Some people swear by superthrive, which is basically the same thing only non organic. Maybe there is something on garden watchdog that would be helpful. For those who say they used it onece and it is sitting on the shelf. Send it this way, I havent found anything in 10 years that will take its place. Certainly not for the price.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

How muh does spray and grow cost?

Sprayers!!! Grrr, I use a Windex sprayer. They couldn't sell their product if their sprayers didn't work. I believe garden store garden sprayers are all junk.

Some say Spray and grow expensive at ?? fifteen dollars for the smallest size, but that will last a whole season, and makes many gallons of spray. You'll get a LOT more and better produce and flowers with it. And fewer bugs and disease.

The cocowet is good, tho' I think some use a drop of Palmolive dish soap, so the Spray and Grow doesn't bead and run off the leaves. I prefer the cocowet.

The formula is a lot of trace elements. You need to use what you mix in a few hours, as the things like iron bond with oxygen, and you will just be spraying rust if you save the mix.

I don't blame the man for making his formula vague, if not secret. See the recipe for CocaCola! That secret has been worth billions and billions of dollars worldwide over the years, hey? hahaha

Americans in the South were all iodine deficient a long time ago, and they all had a sickness that they thought was a disease, but iodized salt helped. Now there's a huge number of people that are magnesium deficient, and don't know it. All sorts of problems resulting. Please do some research, googling, on your own.

The positive difference Spray and Grow makes is amazing. I won't garden without it.

OK, I need to rename myself Soapbox Molamola!

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

cocowet?

Spray and Grow started with only the spray. They kept saying to add a 'wetting agent' that would make the spray stay on the leaves instead of beading up and rolling off. You can use a drop or two of dish soap, but I prefer something plant-specific, rather than a grease cutting dish soap.

Their cutomers (me included) cried out for them to sell a wetting agent, so they added cocowet. Then they added "Bill's Perfect Fertilizer" and now they have a whole catalogue of great gardening things.

They even have a cement mixer! For small batches of cement like for garden pathway stones. You put the mix and water in this cannister, screw on the top, and roll it around. Voila! Mixed cement.

I'm going to try a new product for making plants resistant to disease, my corn got rust, ugh, and so I'm not going to waste time and water on more corn until I order this new stuff. A protien discovered at Cornell University.

And I enjoy getting their catalogue every so often, I think three or four times a year. Some marvelous photos and little stories.

I need to rename myself Soapbox Mola!

Cheers,

Mm

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Sounds like messenger. That little harpin protien does some amazing things. Some people say it does nothing. I think people in the heat get more out of these things, as the plants are under more stress. I mix my spray and grow and messenger and bills and apply at the same time.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

What mechanism do you use to spray? The one I purchased at HD have already returned. There were two more already there ahead of me that day.

LouC

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Harpin is very well studied. From those who developed it at Cornell to the USDA, the EPA numerous other universities and labs, the scientific literature is extensive. Scientists know how and why it acts.

They might be around but I"ve found no scientific literature on Spray N Grow. The company cites the work of the late Dr. A.E. Nightingale, Professor of Horticulture, Texas A & M University and others here:

http://www.spray-n-growag.com/sga/researchdept.htm

But all the links are dead. Several other companies cite Dr.Nighingale's work as proving the efficacy of Spray N Grow but they do not publish his work either. Nor have I seen that other scientists were able to duplicate the work he is said to have done.

If everyone knows of peer reviewed controlled experiments using Spray N Grow, I would certainly like to see them.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I could honestly care less what is in it. As long as it keeps working, Im sure not loosing any sleep over it. Its easy, and it makes gardening much more fun. Lots more blooms. What can be bad about that.
Messenger is a must for roses. It is a miracle worker at keeping the black spot away. I know the poor plant is always thinking its sick, but thats how it goes I guess.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.