My 2nd Miniature Garden .... on a larger scale..

Acampo, CA(Zone 9a)

Well I had so much fun with my first Miniature Garden ( container ) that I did another one... this one is on a much larger scale though
I started collecting little dollhouse garden items ( 1 inch scale ) and basically went for it. After Picking out all the mini plants and reading several garden railroad books this is the final product... Enjoy

This first pic of when I was laying out ( landscaping on a smaller scale ) where all the plants were going to go before planting...

Thumbnail by SuzySweetPea
Acampo, CA(Zone 9a)

2nd photo

Acampo, CA(Zone 9a)

almost finished

Acampo, CA(Zone 9a)

a few small details I even cut up some branches for a "fire" and put in the outside fireplace

Acampo, CA(Zone 9a)

another small detail scene

Molino, FL(Zone 8b)

That is so cute. Makes me want to get in there and walk the path. You really put a lot of thought into it.

(GayLynn) Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Wow! Fantastic work. So much detail! I was at a nursery this weekend that had a whole section of tons of miniature plants for fairy gardens. They were sooooo cute and I thought of you. The picture of your garden in the background of the first picture looks very nice too.

Port Charlotte, FL(Zone 10a)

How cute and fun is that? That is absolutely adorable Suzy!

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

I love it Suzy! That's about the size I'd like to do too - great container! It's adorable!

Is that a Japanese Maple down at the end? I love that little outdoor fireplace - so cute!

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

OMG!!!! How adorable this is. What a talent you have.

You do know that if a lizard finds this creation, it's going to look like a Godzilla movie set!

Pam

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

And if THAT happens, we totally want pictures!

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

Absolutely darling! I love the raised box, too.

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

I love it ! That is adorable and I bet kids love it. Did you use a liner of some sort in the table? Oh man, I love that. I have an old BBQ grill a neighbor had out for trash and I talked him out of it. What do you think about doing minatures in it? Maybe like fairies moved in and made neighborhood.

Slidell, LA(Zone 8b)

I agree that is adorable! Very creative! I want to see the Godzilla pic too LOL

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

What a great job you did - it is just delightful!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Are there children who get to see it?

Tomah, WI

That is absolutely adorable. I love it! You did a fabulous job.

Acampo, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks everyone for all the nice reply's Yes digigirl that is a maple tree I bought it at the San Francisco Flower Show, It has a beautiful rusty red stem ( I think its a coral bark maple) Its not really a miniature but I had it so I used it, I will just keep it trimmed back and if it gets to big I will pull it out. There is actually another Mini maple in the garden ( trident maple ) . And no I do not have any children. but my niece and nephew are coming to stay with me at the end of June so they will get to enjoy .....I got the upright planter from www.charleysgreenhouse.com. It was made for vegetable plants. It was'nt cheap !! but it is made of cedar wood so it is very good quality and should hold up well. I think the BBQ idea would be great fun to make a garden in a definite conversation piece !! I heard there is a Fairy Garden thread going on over in " Cottage Garden " so I guess if I just added a fairy mine would be a fairy garden . LOL
Today I went to Harbor Freight with my Husband ( love that store, I bought my Greenhouse there ) and found a cute and cheap umbrella stand w/ umbrella to use for the summer time It can get up to the 105 degrees here in the summer and I am really afraid it will dry out and die after all my hard work............ so I am hoping that if I watch the weather reports before going to work I will use the umbrella on the really hot days.

Thanks again

Acampo, CA(Zone 9a)

Here is a partial list of what is in the miniature garden :

Artic Birch
Leptospermum
Elfin thyme
Corsician
blue fescue
goldilocks
dragons blood sedum
scotch moss
ginkgo
whooly thyme
Dwarf river rush
aster
japonica
little mini bearded iris ( hope it blooms ? )
weeping cherry
and lots of sedums to many to mention

Acampo, CA(Zone 9a)

oh I forgot

creeping wirevine over the mini arbor

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Fantastic! I love it!

Oakland, OR(Zone 8a)

Absolutely charming. Dotti

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Suzy-
that is fabulous! Someone pointed me over to this thread (from one of my threads), and I'm so glad they did!!
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/743757/

I was just posting how I was going to turn my coffee table into a miniature or even fairy garden. At the very end of the thread, are some pictures that have given me inspriration to do pretty much what you just did! :0)

ok...a few questions...where did you find firepit & chairs, and what are the pink and white flowering plants?

Suzy-
Your thread really got me thinking that miniature gardens and fairy gardens need their own thread. They seem to be freqently on this site, but never in the same forums.(terrariums, garden art, container gardening, etc.) so....

I've just proposed a new forum just for miniature gardens and fairy gardens.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/865603/

If any of you would like to see Miniatures and Fairy Gardens, have their own forum, please make a comment to show your support.
Thank you! :0)

Acampo, CA(Zone 9a)

I have taken more pics of the miniature garden . I have added some small details and It really just makes you want to shrink down ( like in the movie -" honey I shrunk the kids" ) and sit at the patio table with a glass of ice tea and birdwatch. My husband said that in this pic there is a kind of illusion that "where the fairy garden ends and our real yard begins ? ............................

Acampo, CA(Zone 9a)

another pic

Acampo, CA(Zone 9a)

another

Tomah, WI

Suzy- your mini garden is maturing beautifully. I absolutely adore it!

(GayLynn) Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

So much adorable detail! I love it.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

very cool Suzy..... i keep wondering if doing this in my zone ... would all those tiny plants make it over the winter... or would they have to be overwintered indoors... I was going to do a fairy garden in some sort of raised table to go in front of our cold retaining wall.... but might be opting to just do a raised bed on the ground

edit -- oh and that photo does look like your backyard... great shot

This message was edited Jun 21, 2008 8:56 AM

Acampo, CA(Zone 9a)

Onewish, a raised bed is really the way to go !! Waist high is even better... I go out almost every day and clean up my mini garden, snip, rake and basically trim it back on a weekly basis. Its really growing fast !! I don't think I would do that if it was on the ground ( my knees would not make it ) all the plants that i have used are full sun only since I do have it out in the open year round. And I will leave the planter in that spot because it is HEAVY once I added all the soil .
All the Miniatures I have super coated 3 times with a clear acrylic spray, and superglued everything were I want it....
I was just at Orchard Supply Hardware ( OSH ) and they have a square planter on legs that I may do another in.
I just finished another planter for My Dad for Fathers Day see http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/865603/

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I wouldn't want to leave furniture and figures out during the winters here... so super glue won't be the way to go for me

my honey said he can build me a table if I wanted.... we will see

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Now that is one of the cutest darn things I have ever seen. Kudos Suzy!

Suzy-
your hubby was right! That really is a great illusion.

I saw that mower on one of the miniature sites, and it said "sure to bring a smile". Well, I just saw your's mowing your "grass" and sure enough!!~it made me smile! ;0)

by the way...just came across this site and in their "dish" gardens, they did a golf one, too:
http://www.hort.wisc.edu/mastergardener/INT%20MG%20conf/2001/IMG2001.htm

Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

Suzy, that is so cool! If I lived closer, I'd come over to play!

Acampo, CA(Zone 9a)

Primrose Wanna come over and sit outside by the firepit tonite ? Seedpicker is looking for some steaming cups of cocoa for us ? LOL

Is'nt this great that we have our own site now " Tiny Gardens " I have seen some of your postings ? Do you have a fairy/Mini garden or are just checking it out for the future if not you had better stay away from these girls this is very addicting...........we are the bad girls your mother told you NOT to hang out with LOL

I am collecting now for a fairy garden................. watch out shhhhh don't tell my husband....

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Suzy, are they miniature cups of cocoa or fullsized? Too hot today in MA for cocoa today anyway.

Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

OMG, Carrie, I can't stand it - mid 90's here and muggy as a bugger! Glad it wasn't yesterday when we had our (N.E. Region) RU!

On the way home I stopped at one of the Christmas Tree Shops and got some cute, cheap (under $2) garden ornaments:

This one says "Please smell the flowers". The June-flowering roses are an older (maybe antique) climber that I can't i.d. yet.

Thumbnail by PrimroseSue
Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

I tucked this into my stone wall, and it's creeping out my teen!

Thumbnail by PrimroseSue

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.