VFT Update:

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

I planted one outside and left one indoors. It's been about three weeks now. The one outdoors is doing much better than the indoor one. I made kind of a mini bog by using a plastic liner with a 50/50 mix of peat moss and horticulture sand and planted the whole VFT pot and all in it. I used regular potting mix (Berger) with no fertilizer to pack around the liner and fill the bottom of the bigger pot. I topped it off with about 2" of long stemmed sphagnum moss. I knew it hadn't eaten yet so I caught a fly and fed one of the traps just a few days ago. Today it "caught" it's own meal in another trap. I've got new stems with traps emerging and 1 is now nearly fully developed. I have been enjoying the process. This afternoon I potted up the indoor one in the same manner. It shows new spindly growth and half the stems/traps were clipped off after transplant because they looked like they are dying (turning black), this one has not yet fed. I'm hoping it will do better outdoors like I was instructed to do in the first place. This is a learning experience for me......better keep my ears open to suggestions.

Thanks for the suggestions folks! DG people are top-notch.

Wymore, NE(Zone 5a)

I agree with you Sunshine. DG people are great. They have been so helpful to me...

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Want to see a picture of my VFT bloom?
I wish it was warm enough to let them grow outside here.

Thumbnail by makshi
Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

That's very pretty. I haven't even thought of the possibility of mine flowering. I'm still trying to keep it alive!

Thanks.

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

Makshi, I wonder how they'd do outside in a pot in our part of the country, just until fall maybe? Have you ever tried it? I haven't but would like to, if the deer won't eat 'em...

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Ky it might live out for the summer if you remember to keep it moist. I keep mine in the house so I can watch it.

Yep, good idea. This heat is enough to dry a swamp!

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

Makshi,
This is my first attempt at VFTs as an adult (I killed several as a child). I was hesitant to try them outdoors in 100 degree Texas sun, but the one outdoors has new traps and is doing much better than the one I left indoors in a sunny south side window. I finally moved the indoor one outside, and although it's hanging in there, it is not as healthy as the one that has been outdoors. I'm thinking I'll do the refrigerator dormancy in the winter.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

I put mine in frig. last winter and it seemed to work well.

I'm new at these--they need a dormancy period??? LOL, good thing I'm watching this thread! Thanks!

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

I got mine moist and put them in a large bowl with a lid and checked them ever so often.

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Yes, VFTs need dormancy.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Sunshine and all of the rest of you all.

You can fertilize a VFT.
Here is what I read about it.

1 Q-tip
Orchid Fertilizer-Mix as for orchids
dip Q-tip in it and make sure it is only moist not dripping (NOT DRIPPING) and rub along the back of three or four of the arms making sure that NONE gets in the moss.

I thought I would try it on one at first.

Interesting--keep us posted on the results!

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Makshi,
Yes it can be done but is not at all needed. The plant will get enough (PLENTY) of food from sunlight (it's MAIN source) and bugs. I advise against fertilizer.

Jamshedpur, India(Zone 10a)

Hi! I want to buy a venus fly trapper for my garden .Ready to also pay for the postage pl LMK if any one can help me.
I have alot of intresting plants for trade also.
Thanks
Jasmine

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.