Yeah! Dad's Iris Blooming

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Some may remember that my Mom passed away a year and a half ago, leaving my Dad at age 83 to try to keep up her extensive gardens...which is not physically possible for him, so 4 times a year I am back in Upstate NY doing what I can to maintain them....since he can't get to the back yard down the hill from house and he loved photos I sent him of our first year with bearded iris, I planted him up a bed of them in the front yard last fall, all from the Snowpeak Iris Co-op....

I made him a "cheat sheet" with photos and names of his iris and he has taken photo (with his first digital camera) of his first blooms --- because I can only see them from photo, I have to guess this is "Fashion Passion", the other one I planted that might be close is "Costa Rica"...

sorry to be so wordy, but I am so excited he is going to have these blooms to enjoy and share!!!

Thumbnail by mrsj
Zolfo Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Oh what beautiful Iris' and what a wonderful daughter. Your dad must be proud. I wish we could grow them in Fl but especially those kind don't do well here. thanks for sharing the picture.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

That is awesome Audrey!!

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

how exciting good for you!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gloria

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

How beautiful and special too.
Elaine

Loysville, PA(Zone 6a)

That is soo neat !
I can only hope that someday when I am gone that my irises can touch someone else.

Deb

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

This really gives him something else to look forward to every day.....He's reporting more scapes and keeping an watchful eye on their growth!

I was not sure if they would bloom their first year back there, so this is very exciting!

Edited to add - after some discussion last night regarding name of this one, he advises me that it matches "Color Express" ....and since his eyes have not gone bad, I'll take his word for it - he told me that the other 2 were close, but no cigar!!!

This message was edited May 29, 2008 5:22 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.