Growbags. Anyone use them?

Molino, FL(Zone 8b)

Just wondering. I've just learned about them and they seem promising for tomatoes or anything else. Anyone have experiences with them?
Thanks.

Phoenix, AZ

I learned how to do 'garbage bag gardening' from Dwayne Clupper in Kingman, AZ. It was one of the easiest and cheapest ways to garden I've ever encountered. We made our own bags from 6 mil polyvinyl and seamed them up using aluminum foil and an iron. It the experimental community garden we made, there wasn't much that couldn't be grown in the bags, corn being one that wasn't suited. Now that you mention it, I think I'll do it again. ;o)
http://www.ibiblio.org/InterGarden/agriculture/feedback/dirtfarmer/msg00058.html

Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

I am now experimenting with poly grow bags (both black and white) with coconut coir as the medium. I am feeding them with mini spray spikes from a nutrient tank. looks VERY promising. A few pics below:

BocaBob

Thumbnail by BocaBob
Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

here's another

Thumbnail by BocaBob
Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Brugmansia in a 15 gallon easi-lift grow bag:

Thumbnail by David_Paul
Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Next time I won't plant three squash in one 15 gallon grow bag. Two is probably one too many.

Thumbnail by David_Paul
Molino, FL(Zone 8b)

Thanks everybody. I may have to try them. I saw some on e-bay, 25, 10 gallon bags, with shipping they were 25.00. Have any of you been able to reuse them long?

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

This looks like an awesome way to garden. I've never seen this technique before, .....would love to learn more.

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

By the way, a co-op for grow bags is underway.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/862770/

Evergreen, CO

Here are some pictures of my grow bags. I'm using clay pellets to grow hydroponically. Would work just as well with soil. The strawberries are monsters!

This message was edited Jun 14, 2008 11:06 AM

Thumbnail by fourks
Evergreen, CO

Wrong shot, here's the strawbewrries.

Thumbnail by fourks
Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

fourks - Looks great!!!!. What is your set up to feed them? What or who's nutrients are you using. And my big question is are you feeding them the nutrient solution every time you water? I have heard every time, once a day, and 3 times a week. Alittle confusing. I don't want to skimp on nutrients, but no need to waste either.. I am really likng the grow bag system. I have 10 growing right now and 50 with coconut coir waiting to be planted in the early fall.

Thumbnail by BocaBob
Anderson, SC(Zone 7b)

Wow, what a concept! I haven't seen this before, but now my mind is going 1000mph with the possibilities!!

Evergreen, CO

Hi,

I use rockwool 2 part solution. I adjust the a&b ratio depending on vegetative or flowering growth. My medium is hydrotron clay pellets. These are about a 1/4" size which I found a little too large for the seedlings, so I topped with a couple of inches of the clay aqua soil from Home Depot. I recycle the nutrient solution from a sump and change it out every three weeks. I water for 15 minutes every hour during daylight. Of course, this totally depends on your medium. I figured it by testing the dampness at the center of the bag at the end of dry time. It should still be a little damp. I have heard a lot of good things about the coconut coir and know that a lot of greenhouses are using it now. From the look of your picture, it seems you have it figured out. Are you recycling your nutrient solution? Have you checked out Hydrogardens of Colorado Springs? They have been doing this since 1972 and have some real good deals on bulk nutrient. Order their catalogue!

Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

I have bought my nutrients and grow bags and mini sprinklers and coconut coir from Hydrogardens! They are great people. When you have a question, you talk to the owner. My grow bags with coconut coir is drip to waste system. But the owner said feed them everytime you water. I guess he knows best. I water 3 times a day for two minutes each time.

Evergreen, CO

Great! I really wanted to try the drip to waste, but I live in a semi arid state. I would think that the drip to waste would produce more even nutrient solution. I'm glad to see another hydro nut:-) Lets show them that soil is a limiting factor.,

Keith,

This message was edited Jun 14, 2008 8:01 PM

Snohomish, WA

tomatofreak, can you elaborate on how you're putting your bags together? I have a lot of spare 6 mil plastic and would like to try some cukes in some of your "home made" growing bags. Do you use regular potting soil, or a medium like fourks? I would imaging you punch holes in the bottom? And do you put something in the bottom like rocks for drainage? This is a great post! =)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.