Ville de Lyons for west wall?

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

Ville de Lyons has been mentioned on other threads and I think she's a beautiful clematis based on the pictures I see! I would love to plant two on the west wall of my house where I have Endless Summer Hydrangea and Sparkling Burgundy Heucheras planted (also clematis Niobe is nearby in full sun). This wall will only get afternoon sun and one of them will be lightly filtered due to the neighbors' tree.

How do you think she will do here? Is this a good color pairing do you think? I'm open to suggestions. Thanks!

Delaware, OH

my main villa de lyon, 8 yrs old. is in front of my house facing north. it is on an arch, surrounded by alberta spruce and hyrangea with nelly moser nearby. it is a fantastic , trouble free plant and i highly recommend it to anyone to plant anywhere! the red is really a light carmine red, almost a rennaisiance feel, not so dark you need something lighter with it. i have another one planted with prince charles , which is a light lavender blue and they look great together. they grow in front of a rubro-marginata (small pink and yellow flowers) and it all looks good together in the summer.

Libby, MT(Zone 4b)

I have 3 ville de lyon's. I love mine. They get so full of blooms. I have moved two of them a couple times each and they still do fine. Very hardy. When my oldest on blooms here pretty soon, I will take a picture.

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

Thank you Niobe, you recommended the rubro and polish spirit to me in another thread to go with the Niobe clematis. I will do the polish spirit on the north side fence. I do like the look and vigor of rubro but really love the Ville de Lyons. I was only concerned it wouldn't do well only being in the afternoon sun.

DigMontana - Will be watching for your pictures!

Libby, MT(Zone 4b)

Mine are all in full sun.

Delaware, OH

the blooms will not fade as much with partial sun, which some people think is an advantage. villa de lyon in particular get s a faded look in direct sun, which i do not mind, but yours should be a deeper color longer!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Clematis in cooler zones can take more sun..Here in my Texas zone of 8B..I have "VdL" in afternoon sun from 2pm on..and she does just fine....Jeanne

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

Thank you so much, all! Off to find the perfect trellis and buy some plants! I think she'll look great where I want to put them.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Can't wait to see your new Trellis..please post pics!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.