Please Help ID

Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

Hello there! I usually only post in the Hosta, Daylily, NE Forum, and on the rare occasion, the pet forum...but...my virgin step treading into Iris territory...be gentle good people :-)

As I posted in the NE Forum, my mother, Ethel, believes in RoundUp, I saved this Iris from my mother, and have absolutely no idea what on earth it is, beside an Iris.

I will be posting 3 pics. If anyone can ID it for me, I would greatly appreciate it!

~Thom

Thumbnail by Hemhostaholic
Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

Pic #2

Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

pic #3

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Hi, I am NOT an expert here. I have one like it called Steppin' Out. Here is picture to compare.
Good luck.

Thumbnail by EFGeorgia1
Texas/Okla central b, United States(Zone 7b)

I believe it might be Jesse's Song

Raleigh, NC

problem is, Thom - there's about two dozen popular (and another two dozen not quite so popular) with this pattern. Most are in different shades of blue or purple. Since cameras have trouble getting the shades right, even the two digital cameras I have seldom get it that close to right on blues and purples, and since monitors all seem to change the hues a bit too, there's almost no way for an isarian to help you without standing in your yard. This is one of the most popular color patterns.

A newer one that look much like this is Presby's Crown Jewel, even Dancing Dolphin can come out like this on a photo. Some older, tried and true ones are Rare Treat, Loop the Loop, Stepping Out, Jesse's Song. Art Deco might be close, too. Then there's a few inbetween like Footloose. None are exactly alike, but all so close that we'd have to be there to see it, and maybe even not then.

Then there's the offspring these create that all tend to look a bit like the parent but are not genetically the same. The posibilities are endless for unknown seedlings.

In iris, there are a very few plants, like Starship enterprise and Decadence that, once you've seen it, you don't ever mistake them for another

Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

Thank you very much!

I have one Iris, that even if I forget the ID tag, that I will never forget the name, 'Batik.' I know there are other of the "splashed" group, but I have never grown them, nor have I seen them for sale at any of the local nurseries.

EF-Ty very much for attempting to assist me!

Jackie-Ty very much as well!

bonjon-Ty for the expert Iris advice, and pointing me in the right direction!

Through your help, I might be able to ID this beauty, or pick up a few more along the way!

~Thom

South Hamilton, MA

The "splashed" ie broken color are more available from iris catalogs. Some of the older ones like Batik have lower prices. Ask on this forum.

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

My friend's clump was outstanding. I took this picture this morning. I will try to find out the name.

Thumbnail by mittsy
Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

And a close up.

Thumbnail by mittsy
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Pretty, Mittsy.

Oh, Thom, are you in for a treat.

http://www.zebrairis.com/

Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

That was just down right evil...lol.

All in a good way. I've been googling Starship Enterprise and Decendence also...

I have no more room for anything...I'm going to start moving shrubs soon!

Raleigh, NC

Hem -if you like the "broken color" ones like Batik, make sure you google "Zebra Gardens"+iris plants. you should come up with Brad Kasperek's place. He specializing in the broken color.

Santa Ynez, CA

HELP this is one beautiful iris, came to me with no name, but I just love it. Does anyone know what she is, I will try to post 2-3 pictures. thanks Marie

Thumbnail by makj
Santa Ynez, CA

here is another one

Thumbnail by makj

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.