which seeds to soak

Berkeley, CA(Zone 9a)

I know some seeds germinate better if soaked for several hours or overnight. Can someone list which ones, please?

Pioneer, CA

I always soak bean seeds, pole and bush. I've also soaked sugar snap pea seeds for a short time, a couple of hours. I''m so angry with my garden right now, 2 weeks ago I planted my beans and then it turned cold , now raining and I will have to plant all over again, just hope it dosen't snow tonight. I love living in the mountains, but man, some years are a bummer, never know if it's ok to plant. I have 10 tomato plants going, several cucumbers and some egg plant-- they will all be ruined if it snows, almost June!! You're lucky, Berkeley is such a good place to garden. The seed packs usually tell you if it's a good idea to soak.
Jacquie

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I always soak okra overnight. I've soaked corn and beans too, but rarely do anymore, only if the seeds are several years old. Just okra on a regular basis.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Okra, Tomatoes, and Peppers overnight.
Beans and Cucumbers for 30 minutes to 1 hour.

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7b)

I've been gardening for about 8 years now, in tilled clay soil. I have never soaked my seeds and always have good germination. What's the purpose?

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

It just gives them a boost. Not entirely necessary, but will help with germination percentages. I seem to have poor okra % if I don't soak. I've got pretty decent clay based soil with tilled in amendments. Most everything gets direct seeded instead of starting under lights. Just my tomatoes, peppers and eggplants get started inside.

like Feldon, I have soaked tomatoes and peppers on occasion, especially if they are older seeds.

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

While I haven't had a problems with my okra this year, a few people at my job did. One guy told me about a technique his mother in law told him to use.

She said to get an ice tray, fill it with water and drop a few seeds in each compartment. Then you freeze the tray and plant the individual cubes after they freeze. He said it worked for him.

I can see soaking them but what is the purpose in freezing them? I'm trying to get an answer from her.

BB

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

The seed coat is hard, maybe it's to stratify it a bit? That's my only explanation.

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

That's what I was thinking too. At first I thought it was temperature related but Okra is a hot weather plant.

I'll post when I hear her answer

BB

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.