Coneflowers in Arizona

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hi! I first started growing coneflowers about two years ago and just love them. I had no idea what a wonderful scent they had till I planted some. Most of mine are in pots and came back well after the winter cold. I am putting some in the ground also this year. Mine are all the purple ones. I love seeing all your pictures so thought I might add one I took this morning of some of mine. Linda :)

Thumbnail by quietyard

What a pretty sight! You should be getting some butterflies visiting those beauties!

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9b)

Thanks angele! I am hoping it will attract alot of butterflies. So far the gold finches are destroying some of the leaves which they do every year.

hehe, I plant my garden with the birds in mind. With all kinds of flowers for the butterflies where do you think they land? In my yard... the wet dirt, for a drink I suppose :-) I'm looking forward to getting a pretty butterfly and flower photo before the season is done.

Piedmont, AL(Zone 7b)

Those are nice looking conies and the setting is nice too....I used to grow them pots, still have a few...I like them both ways, ain't much not to like about conies.....

Paul from Alabalma

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9b)

I agree Paul. I do not know why it took me so long to discover them. You don't really see them much around Tucson. I potted up six seedlings this morning that I found growing in one of the big pots. Will the purple seedlings turn out like the parents? I do not know if these originial plants I have are hybrids. Linda

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Wait and see, is the only way to know, Linda.

Piedmont, AL(Zone 7b)

if its the species I reckon they call it, echinacea purpurea they come back true from seed......Purple......and you can grow 'Magnus' and 'White Swan' from seed......just my preference but I think 'White Swan' are lovely plants....great for evening gardens too....

Paul from Alabama

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9b)

Thank you both for the information. I think these may be the echinacea purpurea so hopefully all these seedlings will be like the parents. Linda

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.