Tri-colored European Beech 'Roseomarginata' (Fagus sylvatica)

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

Tri-colored European Beech 'Roseomarginata'
Fagus sylvatica

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue
Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Fabulous! Isn't this a gorgeous tree? Fieldstone gardens in Maine have a beautiful specimen.

I spotted it yesterday at this wonderful nursery, wish I had room to grow all the plants I photograph!

Me too, but one thing I really enjoy is photographing plants at nurseries then when I get home I can look at the photos again and see which ones I think would look good in my garden.
I so enjoy your pictures!

Glad you like them, I enjoy taking them and then being surprised at the fine details this camera gets that I didn't see with the naked etye. My eyes aren't as sharp anymore so when the images pop up on the computer screen, I can see all these wonderful details!

Yes that's it exactly, the things the camera lets you see is amazing, that you wouldn't notice with the naked eye. One of the joys of plant (and insect) photography!

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I planted this tree years ago and then moved it. Big mistake, it lived a year after that. It was too huge to move. A really pretty beech.

Kell, this was at that fabulous & pricey Alden Lane Nursery in Livermore, we went and bottled & labeled some wine and hubby dropped me off there while he ran to get something to eat. That place is like a botanical park!
http://davesgarden.com/products/go/view/52/

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

You think it is fabulous? It is big. I can't say I have ever found anything to die for there. Though I did get a clivia with 6 inch wide leaves there a couple of years ago.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

PS. That tree is fairly common. I see it all over. I got mine at Navlets in Fremont many years ago. A good price too! They usually are expensive.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Sue, I just bought some wine online. Ask your husband if he has heard of Merry Edwards. We had a case of her Sauvignon Blanc and Pinot Noir. We finished the last bottle of the SB. It was so good. So I went to her site to order more and they are out of the 2006. I went online to find it and it is now $50 a bottle, almost doubled in price in 1 year. Too much for an everyday wine. So I had to buy a case of the 2007. I hope it ia as good.

So who mixes the wine you bottled?

It was Eckert Estate Winery, a small family winery in Livermore. They make some good Pinot's which is Brad's favorite variety. This was a special for club members, bottle your own for $7 each. Bought 1 1/2 cases and 6 bottles of some of their other wines.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

That is such a great price!! So you actually bring your own bottles?

Merry Edwards is known for her Pinots. I bet Brad would love them. http://www.merryedwards.com/
Look at her address. LOL

No, they provided everything. He had bottled most of this batch already but saved 2 barrels for Members, it was fun.
Hey, now there's another reason besides nurseries to go back up to Sebastopol, I bet we've driven past there before! Although right now, we have to find the bargains.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Did you see if it is open to public? I couldn't find it in their site so I think not, I emailed and asked. They are building a brand new place.

Doesn't look like it's open for tasting. Great reading though, and great recipes.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.