Space Age Iris Developing Space Age Iris

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

I Did two crosses
the pod parent on CROSS 1 was not a space age (Dark Passion) which was used as the pollen parent of CROSS 2.
The pollen parent (Space Ager Galactic Warrior)
This cross of the three seedlings to open thus far have produced no space age appendages on the beards

CROSS 2 - the Pod parent (Space Ager Devil's Fork) was used and produced so far 2 of 2 space age off spring.
This is one of the seedlings from CROSS 1
which has wide falls than either parent a good bud count for frist year it will be kept to evaluate at least another year after it is moved to the grow be.

Thumbnail by avmoran
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

CROSS 2 - the Pod parent (Space Ager Devil's Fork) X (non-Space age Dark Passion).

Though Devil's fork has a enlongated spoon as an appendage, this off spring has a thick beard (thicker than either parent) and a small short horn

Thumbnail by avmoran
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Here is the horn close up.
The second seedling (though one color) also has a small horn instead of a spoon

Thumbnail by avmoran
South Hamilton, MA

I have space age SDB 'Saytre' from France. Also my BB 'Margaret Beaufort' crossed with 'Stanza' which has horns produced iris plants with horns (3 out of about 45+ plants). Strange there were 5 plicatas , like 'Stanza' anf the horns were on 3 of them. I don't think the colors are linked as "Margaret" sib, BB 'Mellow Fellow' produced a purple with white horns & gold beard. That cross produced fewer plants. I would think careful records should be kept for those seeking appendeges. I was looking to see if either of my plants carried plicata, not really looking for space age.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.