How do I get rid of invasive wisteria?

Lorton, VA

I planted a Wisteria vine a number of years ago and it got too large for my yard. I cut it down and thought that I got rid of it, but it's baaaack!!!! It has gone underground and invaded my yard everywhere. I have been digging it up where I can - it's like an octopus - it puts down roots, and you can't get them up without extensive digging. I can't dig in most of my garden without destroying the stuff I have already planted. Does anyone know how I can get rid of it without excavating my entire garden?

Thanks, Peggy

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I suspect you'll have to cut what you can and then paint the stems with herbicide. Even with that approach you may have to keep after it for a while, wisteria are pretty tough plants!

Lorton, VA

Thanks, I'll try that.

Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

Something I've always wondered about, but have not had an opportunity to try (yet) - what if you carefully dug up a root that has smaller roots coming off it, & put it (still connected to the rest of the plant) into a zip-loc bag, with an ounce or two of round-up or brush killer in it. You could seal the top of the baggie where the root comes out with duct tape, then put it into a disposable plastic container (wouldn't want the baggie to burst in your garden!), & leave it in an out-of-the-way place. Would the roots suck up the herbicide, & kill the whole plant? Just a thought I have had.... Samantha

Clatskanie, OR(Zone 9b)

I recommend French Alpine Goats. The love blackberries and the bark
of orchard trees, maybe they would control the gone away wisteria Frank

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

In my experience goats prefer to eat the things you are nurturing and studiously avoid anything you'd rather get rid of LOL

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I agree, goats are probably not good in a garden. They're best if you've got a field where anything smaller than a tree is a plant that you don't want, in a garden setting I don't think you'll be happy with the results (unless you were wanting to relandscape, in which case they could do a nice job clearing out all your old plants for you!) I don't know how much they'd help in the long run on the wisteria either, they can get the part that's above the ground but unless you kill the roots it's going to keep popping up. They are great for clearing fields though, out here they bring around herds of goats to eat the dried up grass and weeds on hills that are too steep to mow to help cut down on fire hazards.

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

Oh, that's interesting about getting rid of the fire hazard grass..........

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Yes, they do it all the time here--we have tons of hills and fields out here that are all filled up with dried up weeds in the summer and they are very flammable, so in areas near where there are houses nearby they usually either mow them down or bring in the goats. It's pretty cool to be driving along the highway and off on the side you see a herd of goats munching away! It's more environmentally friendly than the mowers plus the goats can take care of grass on hills that are way too steep for a mower to get to.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.