Foxtail Lily

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Haven't see any of these in Kansas,so I bought a couple couple yrs back,only one returned,and is blooming this year,I know they grow these a lot back in the north east part of the United States,but not so much south of there,

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Sinking spring, PA(Zone 5b)

That's a stunning flower spike. Is that mallow in the backround?

(Kim) Philadelphi, PA(Zone 6a)

Beauty!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Thanks,
I've heard it called Mallow ,but I think it's listed as a Malva,or hollyhock,known as Zebrina.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Have never been able to grow foxtail and I just love it. Another question for what is behind. The variegated tall grass, isn't that a bamboo? Mitch brought 4 large starts and I have them in a pot because I am afraid they are invasive. My parents had that when I was just a tyke.

Christi

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Beautiful! Look at the honeysuckle too!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Variegated Arundo Grass,clumber not a runner.

And the honeysuckle smells so nice too!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

So if I plant it in the ground it will not cover my lot by next year? I'm really leary of bamboo. Just found out last night that I have air potato that is a potential Kudzu type vine.

Christi

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

No It won't take over your yard,I don't think the air potato vine can live thru a hard freeze.
Arundo grass,is not a bamboo.but looks like one,I really like how white the variegation is,but it also loses it when it gets above about 7ft,turns more green.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks, Don. Guess I need to quit being so paranoid about every little thing. More than half of the plants I have are running into each other anyway. Today's task is to try to calm some of the wildness so everyone has a chance to live. The colocasia must be really happy, they are all blooming. That is a first for me. Found my very first baby bloom on one of the brugs that Randy brought. Have never seen a bloom except in a picture.

Christi

Sinking spring, PA(Zone 5b)

Lou- did you get a chance to smell that first bloom? What a joy!

Christ - what color is she?

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Yep sometimes we worry too much,after all I'm growing a weed,just to see what the flower looks like,the plant itself looks like a artichoke plant,it's about 3 ft or more now,should bloom before too long,you know they it's grows like a weed,well this was growing inches a day I bet.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

The bloom hasn't opened yet. I am monitoring it like a boiling kettle of water. If it doesn't open, I will just die!

Christi

Don, that Foxtail lily is very handsome, how long does it bloom?

Christi, don't forget to go out at night (after 9pm) to smell your brug after she opens.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Jen, all of the cuttings that you sent are growing like mad. Lots of leaves on all of them. aaaaaahhhhhhh. Soooo happy.

PK

So glad to hear that Christi, they should bloom in double quick time as they were all from flowering branches. Have you got any room left in your beautifl garden?

X for Mike

whoops! I meant beautiful!

This message was edited May 31, 2008 6:25 AM

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Jen,
It opens up about a inch a day up the stalk of the flower,and when it does,the bottom inch that was already open closes,I will never see the whole flower open altogether,I wish it would open all up at once,instead of a little at a time.

Really a lovely flower spike, Don. Is it going to make it through your winter, or is it an annual with you?

By the way how is the most tropical of gardens growing? Is your weather settled enough yet to start your wonderful display? I have read about awful storms going through your area this year....Pictures, pictures, pictures!

Aloha

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Hi Jen,
Yes it has been in the ground 3 yrs I think! But this is the first flower year,I planted 3 of them,but just one has lived,apparently I didn't get the one that is what I seen on a garden show,for it grew a 6ft flower stalk,where mine is 3ft at the best.

Stormed all nite long,winds hail has been going on almost everyday now for a week,looks the same for tomorrow as well,then Monday 90* weather for about 3 days then rain just in time for next week end.
Look at the snow that fell this morning!!!LOL

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Here's a pic to show how the foxtail lily blooms,as new flowers open daily,yesterday flowers fade away.

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

The robins just love these berries,don't they look like grapes???

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Recurrving yuccas blooming.

Thumbnail by Tropicman

Gosh, what changeable weather you are having, and yet everything in the garden looks great! Keep those pictures coming, your garden always astonishes me - in Kansas no less - you sure do have a green thumb!

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

Beautiful lily Don, I'm glad I bought a couple of bulbs this year, now I have something to look forward to.

Screwy weather isn't it. More tornados and warning for this area. 10 miles from here got hit the other night, luckily the only damage was a bunch of the huge trees were uprooted and power lines were done. No major damage to homes and no loss of life, which is the best news.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Yep it is,the hail was so big last week,it put holes in my roof,and leaked inside,have to have a new roof,we had record rainfall for the month of May,about half my bananas in the ground are rotting from too much rain.The soil just won't warm up enough to let the really start growing good.
Hopefully the weather will change,and clear skies will take over,and the damaging winds will come to be calm for a day or two!!!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi!
Saw on the news all of the horrible weather y'all have been having! They say roofing shingles are in short supply and the price is probably going to skyrocket because they are made out of oil. Good Luck with your new roof!

Love the flower spike and the malva!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Thanks,I bet every house in town will need a new roof!!!!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

While I NEED a new roof. Don't want the headaches attached to it. In Texas our Home Owners insurance has a deductible of 10% of the house value. Makes a new roof very expensive for me. Hope you have better luck, Don. Besides the damage done to our plants. My heart is with you.

Christi

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

I believe it was 1994 when the last new roof was put on,then they depreciate a percentage from the life expectancy of the roof,plus my $500.00 deductible.

Gisborne, New Zealand

Hi there, I just popped in for a look see and spotted your foxtail lily. Very impressive, could I have some info on it please. Is it a true lily
and can you give me the botanical name. With that I may be able to find it over here. Does it come in more colours. I enjoy popping
onto this forum. I have found some very interesting items attached to some very interesting people. A bit like having a mini holiday.
I wish I could grow honey suckle in my garden but over here its mostly a weed . All be it one with a beautiful perfume. A friend of mine has a giant flowered one the petals on it are about 8'' long the plant is very robust and can get out of hand quite fast. The small flowered one would mount a take over. Bye for now.
Lesley.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Don, see on the news this morning that Wichita had "big time weather" again last night. Hope you weren't in it's path again.

Christi

Oh Don, I am so sorry that you are having such foul weather this year, hope all is okay with you.

Hi Christi!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Hi Lesley,
Sorry don't know much about it other than it does come in different colors,but can't remember which colors,sorry!!!

Yep winds and rain and hail,just has about destroyed anything with a leaf on it!!

Roof contractor came out today,will take over 30 days to get shingles for my roof,and the price increase will start in 14 days!!!
Anybody have 42 squares of white composite shingles for sale????!!!!LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.