How do I tell when figs are ripe

Rio, WI

I have what is supposed to be a Brown Turkey fig. It produced eight fruits about four months ago, and now the fruits are getting soft, but are still mostly green. I was under the assumption that they would turn brown when ripe. Are they ripe or just going bad?

Dahlonega, GA

when the stem gets limp and the fig hangs down . will be soft and wont last but a day or so on the bush.it'll sour .we always pick every other day.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I would say pick one and taste it.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Dahlonega, GA

the red one in your picture is getting there, but not quite peak.should be ready late afternoon or early next morning.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I picked that fig right after I took the photo, it was perfect. It is not a Brown Turkey or a Black Mission, in fact I have no idea what cultivar it is, bought it untagged for $2 at a florist shop. It is the only fig I have tried here that has done well and produces fruit for weeks. Most figs find this part of FL too warm.

The more tropical fruit trees do better>

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Dahlonega, GA

thats why i don't bake cakes any longer . the sweeter it is, the better i like it. lol your fig is something i'm not familar with,brown turkey is better when it really droops. maybe i can make a trade with you for a coupla cuttings.i have beautiful scented viburnums and also bronze and almost black 9 bark. got lots of stuff,if i have something you want.all my tropicals are small and in pots. sally

New Iberia, LA

The fig on the bottom left is perfect for fresh eating. The small splits or cracks in the skin are what I look for when fresh eating off the tree. If there is any clear liquid oozing from the end of the fig then it is just past full ripe and on the decline. If you are processing then just look for a good color change.
Oldude

Thumbnail by oldude
Dahlonega, GA

oldude , if it wasn't oozing today, and it is tomorrow , i'll still grab it and eat it immediately . i 'm just kidding , i got it yesterday .you're like me tho , i like them ripe .sally

New Iberia, LA

You’re right! Grab um when you can. Even when they are leaking clear juice you get that kind of stale wine taste.
Oldude

Dahlonega, GA

no ,no ,no ! you stand there and wait till you see the first drip juuust starting , then you grab it . no wine taste then . i have tried to grow figs here in ga . for years . the deer eat them to the ground before they ever get to the second growing season .have to start growing again from scratch . fooled them last winter and covered them with a blanket after frost . they were only 18' tall . yesterday , i enjoyed my first and only fig . delicious . the roots are six years old and ought to have some nice bushes next year . they ,deer , don't seem to bother them when they get a little larger .had loads of them in texas ,no deer . sally

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.