Help! Rotting Bulbs

Garfield, AR

We made raised beds and added compost from the city compost pile. No dirt just compost. We had some spring bulbs that rotted this winter.It stays to wet and I need your help. My BF wants to add sand but I'm not sure that is best thing. What do you think?
Thanks for the help.

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

Is this still mostly clay soil then? Tell your BF the formula for adding sand to clay soil results in concrete. Don't do that. Add leaves, grass clippings, spent coffee grounds, veggie peelings, just bury them deep and get more compost if possible, you need the organic materials to improve the drainage.

I was going to add sand to my soil until a local arborist told me what doccat5 said. Concrete. So I use lots of two-year old leaf humus and coffee grounds that a local convenience store saves for me.

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

camankin, how deep is the bed? I know in my compost piles it has been hot and dry here- it remains moist near the bottom.

Garfield, AR

We are on a sloping hill and made raised beds . We filled them with compost from the city. When we get a lot of rain it stays soggy for a long time. They are about 2 to 3 feet deep.

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

Wow, that's pretty deep for just compost.

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

camankin, over time that will break down and get better, just keep adding to the compost eventually that will be 2-3 ft of nothing but black gold!! You'll be able to wave a plant at it and get that plant to grow........LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.