Peloric Orchids

Southern Dutchess Co, NY(Zone 5b)

Hi Everyone! I haven't searched through the threads to see if there's a topic related to this, but thought I'd send out a picture of my peloric Phal. I've had it for about 4 years and was attracted to it due to the unusual flower. Over the years it has bloomed with the flowers like this, and once its blooms were absolutely normal! Its tag says it is Taipei Gold x Brother Lawrence. They last a good, long time. - Lynn

Thumbnail by mamasita

Here's a close up:

Anybody else have pictures of theirs?

Thumbnail by mamasita
Worcester, MA

I've never heard of them before. Ver unusual and the color is lovely.

They are unusual and there are people who collect only pelorics when they can find them. When I first found this one, I wasn't even sure it was a phal!

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I am thinking that I saw this one on Brennan's Orchids. Going to their site now and see. If not, I sure ordered one that looks a lot like this one!

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I am stealing just for the moment the picture of one of the phals I just got. They are not the same.

Thumbnail by gessiegail

If you google peloric or peloria, it explains the criteria and physical mutations that make some orchids this way. I happen to really like this mutation, and it makes the plant that much more interesting! Orchid Board has a couple of threads dealing specifically with this and some of the pictures are just wonderful!

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks but I just grow orchids because they are pretty to look at and easy to grow.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Lynn, I've not been looking at all the threads, but just checked out your photos tonight. Your Phal is beautiful. I have no peloric Phals. and try not to grow summer bloomers because I'm away so much. Let me know how the bloom cycle goes with this as I love the ease and generous blooms of Phals.

laurel

Hi Laurel,

This particular phal has been in bloom for WEEKS if not a couple of months. I didn't mark down when it first bloomed but it's till going strong. I have another that finally dropped its last blossom just three days ago after flowering for several months as well.

Different phals have different bloom times, as you know. It has been my experience that - in general - no matter what type of orchid you are growing, certain colors will bloom at the same time. I've noticed yellow bloomers will bloom together, as will pinks, etc. Not everything, but enough to catch my attention. Doesn't matter if it's a phal, paph, den, Catt. Maybe it has something to do with the length of the sun's rays? Maybe it's just blind luck!

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I have lots of yellow, orange, etc. plus my vandas are blooming in purples and blues. (remember I know nothing about orchids)........

Hi gessiegail,

You are lucky to be able to grow vandas! They are difficult to grow here in the NE because our season is just too short. I don't use grow lights and must depend on natural light and my sun room during the cold months. I have one vanda that grows slowly but has never bloomed. I do have some vandaceous types and they seem to be easier.

I like the uniqueness of having a peloric phal among the collection. Last year this plant bloomed with normal flowers. It's a genetic mutation and from what I understand, appears most often in phals.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has noticed certain colors blooming at the same time, and whether anyone else has peloric orchids. There are photos on another orchid site of different plants exhibiting this mutation.

- Lynn

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I overwintered all the orchids outside on the screened in front porch. I used 6 ml. poly to wrap the porch and then used heaters and tried to keep it in the high 40's and early 50's at night. Every plant did beautifully and the orchids loved it. I always make sure the Vandas are getting all of the low south sun during the colder months of January and February.

The temps are scorching at 100 degrees every day but I always get a cool wind on the front porch. (and I spray the orchids a couple of times a day with water)
I put the orchids in the summer where they only get a little morning direct sun on the porch.......and every bit of light other than that is just indirect light.

This is a picture I took about a week ago of the Vanda blooming. This is too dark as the outside sun is so bright.

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Now here is the pic that is too light (LOL)

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Fredericton, NB(Zone 5a)

This is my peloric phal which is just starting to bloom. There was a very smudged tag that I interpreted as Dtps Nobby's Pink Lady x New Cinderella or maybe it's just a NOID.

Ken

Thumbnail by Ironwood

Very nice photos, gessiegail and Ken!

I'm like most people gg, and always wish I could grow the things they do and vice versa! I know folks in the south would like to grow the plants that are either native to us here in the NE, or just like the cooler temps. And you are right to give those orchids a nice drop in temperature since that's what helps many of them to set their buds. I have a clivia miniata that needs an extended rest period at around 50 degrees. The reward for doing that is the most beautiful display of orange trumpets!

I like your peloric orchid, Ken. How long have you had it? The color is fantastic! I have a phal. "Nobby's Amy" which is not peloric, but a fine bloomer. When you acquired your plant, did you know it was peloric or find out later? I didn't know why mine looked as it does until I saw a picture in one of my orchid books and realized what I had! Now I search through the orchids in the nurseries in hopes of finding another!

Here is a photo of "Nobby's Amy":

Thumbnail by mamasita
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Orchids are just going to have to be my next 'favorite plant'! Love them!

I like the challenge they present. Once you understand their needs and the fact that all orchids need and want different things, you're OK! I find the paphiopedilums grow easily up here as do many cymbidiums. Naturally, I want the warm growers! But I've found I can create different "zones" and try to grow as diverse a plant community as possible. Easier than trying to compete with the wildlife that has decimated my outdoor gardens.

Fredericton, NB(Zone 5a)

Mamasita, I purchased this at least 5 years ago, and didn't know what peloric was at the time. I purchased it for its color and that is why I am skeptal of name on tag as neither of its so called parents are anywhere near as dark as it is, although I not sure what is in its complete family tree.

I have seen several peloric Phal Baldans Kaleidoscope plants in the last year.

Ken

I am delighted to say my peloric phal is in bloom once again! Twice in one year is something new for this plant. Several more blossoms have opened since I took these pics the other day.

This message was edited Oct 19, 2008 8:38 PM

Thumbnail by mamasita

Another view:

Thumbnail by mamasita

Are there any others with peloric orchids and pictures they'd like to share? - Lynn

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I noticed you had something in the box..........could you tell me if that it is coco fiber or what? thanks

The basket is lined with cocoa fiber and the pahl has fir bark, sphagnum moss, horticultural charcoal and sponge rock as its medium. I believe that is an 8" basket.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wish I could find those baskets. Think I am going to look online........do you know what they are called, mamasita?

These baskets are made by Better- Gro. The tag says they are distributed by Sun Bulb Co. in Arcadia, FL. The web site is www.better-gro.com but I actually bought mine at Lowe's.

There are sites that have wooden baskets (and other supplies):
http://www.calwesttropical.com/index.php/categories/wood-baskets
http://www.repotme.com/?gclid=CKeknbGyuY0CFQOSHgod4muUEw

I hope this helps if you can't find the wooden baskets near you. - Lynn

This message was edited Oct 19, 2008 10:08 PM

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

The only ones I have seen at Lowe's are big plastic black ones..........waaay too big and ugly. That you so much!!!!!!!!!! Love you!!!!!!!!! I have been wanting some so much.

You are very welcome! Let us know if you locate any locally (try your better nurseries) or if you end up ordering some. I'd be interested to know how good these places are!

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Ok..........will do!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.