A paper chalice

Baton Rouge, LA

Photo taken at Bluebonnet Nature Center in Baton Rouge, LA on 5/25/08.

This cup is about 4 inches in diameter.
Most I have seen are smaller cups.
The cup sits on a stem. (I will attach another picture in a second note.)

The sides are thin like paper.
I have seen examples that hold rain water.

This fungus/mushroom is growing from a fallen tree limb that has been lying on the ground for months. Others of this type that I have seen have also been growing from fallen tree limbs. They do not seen to spout from the ground.

John

Thumbnail by jehartg
Baton Rouge, LA

This picture shows the stem of the "chalice" attached to a fallen tree limb.

John

Thumbnail by jehartg
Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Absolutely beautiful. Thanks for sharing your lovely photos.

Necedah, WI(Zone 4b)

very cool!!

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

I agree, really cool.

Over the weekend we had some guests walking in the woods. My DD also was visiting. When one of the guests remarked on some neat moss, my DD rolled her eyes and said "oh no, not another one, who in the heck can get excited about mosses and fugus?"
She has much to learn. LOL

Necedah, WI(Zone 4b)

cool is sort of 'in the eye of the beholder' like beauty :) How old is your daughter?

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

27, not a little kid. She likes the woods, but it not that excited about the wildflowers and plants as I am.
I find it hard to believe that anyone can not get excited about the cool things that grow in the woods. They are incredible.

Necedah, WI(Zone 4b)

:D I agree!!

Olympia, WA

What a wonderful photo, and a grand lesson. This fungus is new to my eyes and won't be soon forgotten!!!!!!!!

Barnesville, GA(Zone 7b)

What beautiful pictures John. My imagination runs wild picturing fairies bathing there..............LOL.

Baton Rouge, LA

Wow! I hope I am there to get a picture of your fairies.
Thanks for the thought.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.