clematis huldine leading growth tip die back?

Mount Laurel, NJ(Zone 7a)

Hi all, I'm sad to see both our clematis huldines leading growth tips either bending (then I have to snip it) or simply turning black and dying back. It was doing so well otherwise...anyone know what the culprit may be? They were planted last fall.

Delaware, OH

do you have a photo? if the problem you are describing is what i think, it is the new growth just too much for the vascular system of the plant. you loose some stems when growth is agressive and variable temps stress the plant. also it may want to sprawl vs being forced too much upright.
however i may be reading your problem wrong, so would love to see a pic for clarity.

ok, I'll take a picture tomorrow :)
the one I just cut the bent top, so nothing much to photograph; but I'll take a photo of the other one, which was growing much taller and faster until the tip just turned black. Thank you

this is the clematis with the growing stem that simply bent over and I had to cut

I'll post another photo with the dead tip on the other clematis (I have two and they are both having some issues)

Thumbnail by wind

this is the dead lead stem and a side leaf of the other huldine

if anyone has any ideas of what may be the culprit, I would greatly appreciate it :)

also, we have a will goodwin clematis that has a problem with the leaves turning yellow
I'll show you all a photo of that too (rather than start a new thread) in case someone can recognize that problem too

thank you so much
~Diana

Thumbnail by wind

the leaves of our Will Goodwin Clematis??? ...some years are better than others with any of our flowers...

Thumbnail by wind
Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Diana,

Look at the underside of the leaves and see if there are any tiny white aphids hiding there. I would spray both sides of the leaves with a light horticultural oil and smoother any nasty bugs. Also, I would feed the plant some Epsom Salts and that should help with their nutritional deficiencies.

Shirley

Delaware, OH

i think it is rapid growth too much for the plants vascular system,so it curbs itself. i had some wilted top 6 inches of new growth this spring. i just pruned the plant to below the wilted area, and in most cases the stem recovered. only a couple lost the entire stem.

also, if the weather is harsh in the early spring on the new growth it may be from that.

the yellowed leaves could be from too much water and drainage issues, or just a need for iron or other nutrients. in particular dark red and purple are prone to browning on the lower leaves, especially after blooming.
when in doubt give the plant a break, and cut it back and fertilize it so it can re group and re establish.

if they were easy to grow, they would be everywhere and not so special, right?

thanks guys :)
I didn't see any aphids, and I know we haven't had too much water but I'm thinking the yellow spotted leaves may be due to lack of iron or other nutrients as mentioned. Especially because the Will Goodwin is planted by a concrete foundation. I'm going to fertilize it well and cut it back and cut back the huldine too and feed that as well and hope for the best.

thank you all for the suggestions
Have a good weekend and Happy Gardening!
~Diana

I just came across this info

"CLEMATIS PROBLEMS: The most devastating condition of clematis is a fungal stem rot and leaf spot caused by the fungus Ascochyta clematidina and commonly called "wilt." This is a disease found generally on large-flowered hybrids. Small-flowered hybrids and the species and their cultivars are less susceptible to wilt. Symptoms include a sudden stem collapse generally just as the flower buds are about to open, and within a few days, the stem and leaves turn black. Any part of the plant can be attacked down to and just below the soil level. The usual treatment is to remove the diseased stem below the wilted section, even below soil line. "
source: http://www.mrsgreenfingers.co.uk/clematis.htm

The clematis Huldines are brand new plants, I'm surprised they have disease already...I wonder if this is what mine have? I did notice some new growth pushing out just below the wilted tip on the one plant this morning.

This message was edited Jun 1, 2008 8:19 AM

Delaware, OH

with true wilt the stem and leaves turn blackish not brownish. i do not think a lot of the early season damage we see is the true wilt. true wilt will usually take the whole plant to a blackish tone . also minor wilt could be from compost too close to the stem.
fast vigorous growth or being forced straight up is a big culprit.

...being forced straight up as in up a trellis?

Delaware, OH

yes. some of the cultivars do not mind being trained up, but others like to sprawl as they work upwards. my experience is that when you force a stem into a support sometimes that is the one that wilts...brownish wilt,not true wilt. i was dialoging with a guy from new zealand about clematis and he mentioned this also. you have to look at the plant and listen to it and when it wants to sprawl before building upwards it may be better to let it. don't get me wrong, i am constantly trying to train and keep the plants tidy but i have learned that ramona, lady betty balfour and some others want to be left alone.
i know this is not the only variable. also the late frosts sometimes leave the plant looking ok, but there is vascular damage that will result in the brownish wilt. just not immediately. some tender plants show the damage asap, but in my experience the clematis doesn't show the damage right away form light fronts or high winds.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.