A couple of questions

Dade City, FL(Zone 9a)

I need help deciding what to do.

First... Here is a picture of some nice new yellow squash starting.

I found them when I went out to take up the plant since I thought it was too hot and the plant was doing poorly.

Thumbnail by 2busygardening
Dade City, FL(Zone 9a)

This is what the entire plant looks like. It looks terrible. Then there is the new growth and new babys.

I also have a zuc doing the same thing.

So, I clipped all of the dead growth in hopes that it would help the new get sun and the plant could concentrate on the new.

I am going to add mulch and see what happens.

Anyone know if this will work or did I kill the plant by trimming dead stalks and leaves?

Thumbnail by 2busygardening
Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

It looks like mine did when I had squash bugs.

Try watering the leaves, and if they're there, they start running to the top
to get away from the water. Usually they hide, but they run out if their hiding place starts getting flooded.

I'm not an expert, but I think they invade the inner part of the stems and suck out the fluids......or something like that. If I remember right, the little squash can survive until the plant itself is so dibilitated it can no longer support them, usually a few days.......

Like I said, I'm no expert, and this may not be very accurate, But I'm pretty experienced at losing squash plants to squash bugs....LOL. Maybe some of the more experienced gardeners can help explain more clearly..

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.