Sun too hot

Dade City, FL(Zone 9a)

It is getting pretty hot here and I am afraid of the sun burning my tomatoes, peppers and beans. I am thinking that maybe if I make a 'shade cover' out of some type of frame and some screening might help.

I don't want too much shade, just a little protection so I don't have to quit for the summer.

Also, I have some extra space from some sun burned squash that had to be taken out. Is it too late to plant anything in it's place?

Any thoughts?

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

okra

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Gardenglory,
thanks for answering my question before I even answered it. I still have one empty earthbox outside and looking to put something in it. I have two okra seedlings looking for a home....

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5a)

2busy, I've put 75% shade cloth (from Lowe's) supported by a PVC pipe frame up over my tomato plants--they really do appreciate it! It should also keep them going for longer as it keeps heating up. Eventually the air temps alone will shut them down, but this'll buy me a good couple of weeks longer before that happens.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Im about to get my okra in the EB as well. It just does much better it seems, the hottter it is. ot some cowpeas going in as well.

Dade City, FL(Zone 9a)

that's what I was thinking. Over all of the RBs. Have to price it out, as the tomatoes are staked with 8ft stakes and are almost there. Only have to buy once though.

Don't care for okra, hope I don't have to shut down for a month or so.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5a)

I've got 2 okra plants, even though we only use about a quart or so in gumbo a couple of times a year--it's just such a beautiful plant, it's worth the space on looks alone!

Dade City, FL(Zone 9a)

Maybe that's a good idea then, just for something to tend to for the time being. Thanks

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

eggplant does well in the summer if you dont like the okra, you might not go for eggplant either.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

2busygardening,

I don't know how similar your climate is to Houston, but I use this planting calendar by Bob Randall which was written with Houston in mind. Maybe 1-2 weeks plus or minus would work for your area? In short, I don't plant anything in June or July. I mostly try to keep the stressed plants alive long enough to harvest.

http://www.settfest.com/files/DrBobRandallCalendar.png

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.