Just sharing

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Hi Everyone,
I haven't really been around much yet this year. My father passed away on May 17th and it's been a hard and stressful time. His funeral was Thursday. I will really miss talking with him about our flowers and vegetable gardens. He is the one who got me into gardening by sharing this passion with me. I will miss that so very much!

So I finally have some down time and where do I find myself? Here. Wanting to share my passion. So here are some photos of my gardens so far this year. I used a lot of flowers from my gardens for his funeral. I think he would have liked that.

Thanks for looking.
Sherry

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Tulips in April in my curvy bed.

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

My garden buddy, Joey.

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

My curvy bed in May.

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

My island bed May 24th.

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Clematis

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Boysenberry Buttercup Iris

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Unknown purple and white iris.

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Unknown brown iris.

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Iris unknown peach.

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Iris Lena Baker.

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Unknow blue iris.

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Midnight Oil Iris.

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Lupines.

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Lupines again.

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Curvy bed. This area was started in 2006. I had already put in the trees and shrubs and evergreens, but the rest was just filled with petunias every year. Now there are tulips, iris, lilies and daylilies along with other odds and ends. It's starting to come along pretty well now.

Thanks for looking and sharing with me.

Sherry

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
South/Central, FL(Zone 9a)

Everything is just beautiful, Sherry. Sorry about the loss of your dad, recently. : ( My Dad died this August will be 2 years ago. It's still very hard to be without him, since he was my mom and dad ever since I was 7. He loved to garden also, but didn't have a whole lot of time to do it, he had to work too much.

I fondly remember him every day, and when I go outside, I have some of his flowers that he liked planted in my garden. I even have a basil plant that he planted in a pot just before he died. I helped him plant it, because he was blind from sickness. Everyday he would ask me how much it had grown, and would feel around for it.

Time will heal your heart little by little, just know that it will be slow going for a while yet. I just now can smile and laugh about how funny he was, without tears falling.

Your dad would be proud of how lovely your garden is right now. He smiling down on you, as is mine. : )
~Lucy

Edited, because I can't spell tonight. : )

This message was edited May 25, 2008 1:49 AM

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Sorry for your loss Sherry. You gardens are wonderful. I especially like the Lupins. I keep trying them but we don't have the best climate for them so they only do well every few years. When my Dad died, I found that working in the garden was the most healing thing I could do.

susan

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Sherry, your dad's passion for gardening lives through you. I see it everywhere in your pictures. Please keep those pictures coming!

Hugs,

Deborah

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Sherry, my sympathies for the loss of your dad. Your garden is looking absolutely wonderful!

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

Sorry you lost your dad, Sherry. But, his passion obviously lives on in you. He would be so proud of your beautiful gardens. My dad is the one who passed on the "gardening gene" to me. Every time I went over to Bossier City to visit him, we had to take the grand tour of his five acre "flower farm," as we all called it. Now I have my own flower farm and often wish he could take a tour of it with me.

Mid-Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 5b)

Sorry to hear about your loss. My grandfather was a florist and every time I smell certain plants he comes to mind and I feel like I'm sharing a moment with him. I hope as your grief eases, the gratitude and memories that come when you're gardening will be a reminder of what you shared.

I especially love that first picture, the way the three trees work together. It's really lovely.

Sugar Land, TX

I'm so sorry to read about your father's death, but I agree with the others that he's left you with a wonderful passion for gardening. I'm sure there'll be many moments when you are in your garden and you will feel very close to him.

Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

I'm sorry to hear about your dad. What a great gift he gave you! (gardening).

Your gardens are always so beautiful, and an inspiration for me. I love your lupines. My perennial garden is mostly pinks and blues, and your lupines would be perfect in the back of my garden. Did you grow those from seed?

Again, sorry about your dad.

--Pam

Sherry~ joining in with condolences for your loss. Thanks for sharing your passion. Your love for your Dad and gardening is delightful and obvious! BOUQUETS to your beautiful gardens!

Tomah, WI

Sherry, I would like to add my sympathies in the loss of your dad. He taught you well. Your gardens are lovely. I am sure he was very proud of you.
Becky

Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

Sherry - What gorgeous gardens! I'm so sorry for your loss - my mom has been gardening & playing tennis (her other passion) in heaven for 2 1/2 years now. I still miss her, but know she passed her passions on to me & my children. How wonderful that you shared gardening together, & what a beautiful offering of flowers from your gardens! I know he loved that! Samantha

PS - Is that a crabapple tree in your first photo - it's stunning! What kind of crabapple is it? Thanks!

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Samantha, I'm glad you asked about Sherry's first picture. I'd like to know about everything in that picture. All the leaf textures come together so well. The weeping tree in front with the clump of grasses (what are those?) in the middle and the goregous pink flowering tree. Oh my!

Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

Hi, Deb!! How are you doing? Hope you're having a Happy Spring! It's been HOT here, so I know Spring is about over! Samantha

Sunset Beach, NC(Zone 8a)

With tears of understanding running down my cheeks, I send you wishes for better days ahead and the ability to tuck certain memories into your heart.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Sherry, I'm sorry for your loss. Your gardens are beautiful.

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Wow,
I am so touched by all your thoughful and heartfelt messages. It means alot to me. I really don't know what to say, except thank you from the bottom of my heart. I will miss him more than words can say. I know it's true that time heals, but it seems to take so long. My Mom died in 2000 at 62. My brother died tragically in 2004 at age 42. My Grandma died last Christmas at 100 years old. And now my Dad. It just seems like too much in too short a time.

I will be alright though. Thank you for caring. And my gardens will remind me of them all. I remember my Grandma always having so many beautiful flowers in her yard when I was young. And her house always had many flowers too, even when she was older, even if they were silk. And then my Mom and Dad always had a beautiful yard so weed free and full of flowers and fruits and a vegetable garden to die for. And then my brother who lived with us for a couple of years before he died helped me to plant some evergreen trees in my backyard garden. Those trees remind me of him all the time. And his death was near impossible for me to get through. There were times I didn't think I would get through his death because of how close we were. But I am still here and getting through. Sorry to ramble on, but your thoughtful comments made me think. ;o)
Thank you
Sherry

South/Central, FL(Zone 9a)

Good to see you back on again, Sherry. I think we were starting to worry alittle bit about you. : ) Isn't it Great how caring people are on here? They don't even have to know you, and they care. Gardeners are just good people. : )

Anytime you just want to get things off your heavy heart, just come talk to us. We will listen. Hope you have a wonderful day, today.
~Lucy

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Sherry,

Thank you for sharing both your sorrow and joy. Sometimes, it is easier to talk about things when you don't have to face someone. Everyone is sincere in their support for you. All of us will lose our parents at some point. I lost both of mine before I was forty. Mine children (age 4 & 11) have never really known their grandparents. In spite of the terrible pain at the time, we all forge on.

It is wonderful that you have shared memories and a shared passion. Your garden is truly glorious. I actually have a picture from last year of your yard with the large laterally branched tree that I use as part of my screensaver because it is so pretty. I have no idea what the name of the tree is, but I was so impressed with the entire tableau.

Enjoy your gardens, and keep your loved ones in your thoughts.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.