Daily Pics Vol. 111

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Have been trying to start this new thread but the neighbors cows were out and took awhile to get everything back where it belonged in the dark! I almost titled this "Dairy Pics"! LOL! Too much time in the hay fields today! We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/851069/#new .

I was happy to find this Dickcissel in the fence row the other day singing his heart out!

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Another view.

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

And one more.

Thumbnail by dellrose

Those are some great photos Rose! Really outstanding.
The neighbors cows were out? LOL, that takes me way back to prank calls the kids used to make ... way way back :-)

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

Is the Mourning Dove on the right a youngster? I've not noticed so many spots on them before.

Thumbnail by tigerlily
Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

Though the lighting could have been better, I was happy to see the Lazuli Bunting in plain view. This part of the creek is a favorite at bath time for many of the birds here.

Thumbnail by tigerlily
Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

The Western Tanager preparing to bathe.

Thumbnail by tigerlily
Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

Enjoying the water, but still watchful.

Thumbnail by tigerlily
Coquitlam, BC(Zone 7b)

Wow, dellrose, what an interesting looking bird. Your pictures are always so clear. They are phenomenal.
Tigerlily, I love that photo of the morning doves, particularly the right one. It looks serene. The Tanager bathing is adorable!
I didn't realize how fast this thread updates. My mouth dropped when I saw I missed two sections of pictures already!

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Nice one on the Dickcissel - I think that's the first time this species has featured on the forum? Can't remember any other Dickcissel pics, anyway.

Quoting:
Is the Mourning Dove on the right a youngster? I've not noticed so many spots on them before.

Could well be, though I'm thinking more from the slightly fuzzy-looking head feathering, duller (greyer, less blue, eye ring) and what appears to be a shorter tail (tho' that might just be the photo angle). But young doves and pigeons are often very hard to tell from adults.

Resin

Marlton, NJ

Excellent pics Rose! Thanks for starting the new thread!

tiger, I love those Western Tanagers and Lazuli Buntings!

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

I have been busy and haven't checked in for a while, but what great pics to come back to!

I was at my sister's yesterday, she has 40 acres, and has lots of birds. I forgot my camera again.
She has nesting Bluebirds and Swallows, and I briefly saw an Oriole. This is the first year the Bluebirds have stayed with the Swallows, so she is happy.

Marlton, NJ

Blue Jay

Thumbnail by pelletory
Marlton, NJ

male Red-bellied Woodpecker

Thumbnail by pelletory
Marlton, NJ

female Red-bellied Woodpecker

Thumbnail by pelletory
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Tiger and Pelle...great shots and so colorful! I would love to see a Lazuli or Tanager around here but that would entail entering heavily infested tick territory and I'm already over my limit on tick bites!!

Thank you for your kind comments on the Dickcissel there are many here right now flying over the hayfields. When I spotted these I was looking for the Scissor-tailed Flycatcher. I've seen them so many times but have yet to get a shot at one...they are so awesome to watch and beautiful as well!

Resin...I posted a pic of a Dickcissel awhile back when it had landed in my front yard...I don't know if it was a first for the forum but a first for me. I was happy to get a better look this time!

The Red-headed Woodpecker is still coming around...

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

and brought the family...you can almost see them at the top of the dead tree!

Thumbnail by dellrose
Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Rose, is there a bird that is NOT on your property. That is a great start.

Tiger, glad to see your posts again of birds I never see around here.

Pell, that's one curious jay you have there. I love the shadows from the leaves.

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

LOL Mrs. Ed! We are finding out what a treasure we have in our 29 acres. Eventually I would love to make it a total sanctuary for wildlife!
Right now we have 2 nesting Kildeers, 2 Barn Swallow nests with babies and an Eastern Phoebe nest with babies. I had wondered if the Swallows and Phoebes would nest together and they are so that is good to know. I hope to get pics of the baby Kildeer but the Swallows and Phoebes are too enclosed and I don't want to disturb them.

Here is one of the "worried" Kildeers!
That's a repeat pic...will post another...

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Here's the one I meant to post above!

Thumbnail by dellrose
Melbourne, FL

Super pics everyone. Love seeing those colorful birds. I got a few pics early this morning, most of which I will post later, I have some painting to start in the house. I thought this Crow flying over was interesting, since he had what looks to be bread in his beak.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

LOL GP! He looks like he has been at a Memorial Day picnic!! That is a very cool shot!

Melbourne, FL

Thanks Rose, I envy you living in such a wonderful place among all the animals and birds. So glad you are preserving it for them.

Coquitlam, BC(Zone 7b)

Oh Pelle, that blue jay pic is fantastic. He's a curious little fellow.
Great woodpecker photos. I enjoy seeing different types from those that live here. Beautiful!

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

So I'm sitting on the patio taking a break this morning watching for birds...no birds except for a lone Meadowlark in the dead tree. I look up and see this Red-tailed Hawk cruising in the distance.

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Then I see another bird chasing him...

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

it turned out to be a Red-winged Blackbird! He chased him all over the place..it surprised me as I've never seen this happen before!

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

As soon as they left the area the Meadowlark began singing!!

Thumbnail by dellrose
Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Nice Rose. And I see you found my Meadowlark.

I meant to tell you, when I was at my Mom's, she had a young Red-breasted grosbeak Male sining loudly every morning, afternoon, evening!! He sure was in need of a mate!

Take the rest of the day off! Tell DH I said so. ;)

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Beautiful birds all!

Rose, you must be having a great time with all those birds! Wonderful pics as always, the Red-headed Woodpecker is very "red-headed' lol, the body colours reminds me of a Magpie.

Lovel those brightly coloured birds you have Tiger!

pelle, nice pics, the pondering Jay is great.

Not much here, lots of dull cold weather again but I got a Greenfinch a couple of days ago from a distance, I think it's a pair. Thought I would post it for the background view, lol, rhododendron in flower and my white Wisteria on the pergola leg with lots of first time flower buds.

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Marlton, NJ

Outstanding Hawk shots Rose!

Wilmar, AR(Zone 8a)

Here is a pic of a juvie white-eyed vireo who knocked itself silly flying into my window. I picked it up (it's little eyes were practically spinning!) and held it until I saw it was going to be OK. It eventually flew away. It was such an awesome experience. The pic is a little fuzzy but I had to take the pic using my left hand since I had the bird in my right.

Thumbnail by crazybirdlady51
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Wow Crazy...so glad you were there for the little one. Love that shot!

Wallaby...Awesome!

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

This Brown Thrasher was intrigued everytime I snapped a pic. I think he/she thought I was talking to him or something. I took lots of shots and he didn't want to leave at all, they don't usually stick around long enuf to get a good look!

Thumbnail by dellrose
Wilmar, AR(Zone 8a)

Here's a better picture of him after he started getting his bearings back.

Thumbnail by crazybirdlady51
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

another...

Ah...what a sweetie Crazy!!

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

one more Thrasher...it's mate came to investigate, they were both looking around trying to see where the "click" was coming from!

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

I am always happy to see the birds using the brush piles we saved for them.

Indigo Bunting (this is for you GP)!!

Thumbnail by dellrose
Marlton, NJ

Beautiful blooms wallaby!

Crazy, Thats so cute!

Wonderful shots Rose!

Melbourne, FL

What a great idea, saving the brush piles....I'm sure the birds appreciate the safe place to hide. Thanks Rose. I wonder if that's one of "my" winter visitors.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.