Went to the deer camp today, found all kinds of goodies

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I couldn't believe all the plants I came across today at our deer camp, we have l,200 acres to roam about on, and I've never seen these plants before now.

Lot s and lots of jack in the pulpets, couldn't believe how nice looking they were

There were also some things I didn't know what they were and hoping to get them id'd here if possible

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

here's a tree I wasn't sure of, but it was fragrant and beautiful. I know exactly where it is, Just in case LOL

any clues?

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

mayapples all over the place, they were pretty much done for the year, but gosh, I've never seen so many of them. I'd have to put my rubber boots on to not get snake bit, but I'm headed back to dig up some of those roots for sure LOL

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

And sensitive fern ALL over the place I couldn't believe it, thought I was in woodland heaven today.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

What's this?

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Now this was truly awesome, It really looked like some form of baptisa, I'd sure like to know if that is what it is, I saw quite a few huge clumps like this. that will soon be cut down, so I might as well bring these babies home LOL

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I also saw some swamp hibiscus and some evening primrose down there too , but didn't get to take photos of it. DH wouldn't slow down half the time so I could take pictures LOL Of course there was spiderwort everywhere too

Wild phlox everywhere

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I swear ya'll I thought I was in some sort of woodland nursery today. I was so hoping to run across some hardy ground orchids, wouldn't that have been awesome, LOL no luck though. We're going back tomorrow but we're going to be doing some bushhogging, Dh said he'd take me over to all the woodlands if he had time so I could dig them up. Didn't want me going by myself, it's quite a ways away from where we'll be bushhogging tomorrow.

Wild penstemon everywhere too, this is really pretty

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Any ideas what this is, It's so cute looking, Looks like some form of clover, but i've not seen anything like it. I really liked it, it was everywhere too

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Any idea what this neat looking vine is?

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

What kind of tree is this?

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Thorne Bay, AK(Zone 6b)

Kathy Ann-the blue one you said lookedlike clover is Prunella vulgaris.Self heal.Spreads very fast in gardens.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

WOW! so cool, I've got to get some of this, I had no idea, thanks so much, I've been having the neatest time looking through the other thread with all the woodland plants listed. Thanks Nedhudson for the id

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

The trees are a catalpa and a sassafras. Everything is so beautiful there!

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

The sassafras is the small one right, the catalpa is the flowering tree? i've not heard of the catalpa tree before.

I had such a ball today finding all these treasures. It was one fun day. My dh thought I was nuts, hoopin and hollering out there, LOOK at this, oh my gosh, and would you look at that wow! It was something LOL

We also saw some solomon seal and passiflora incarnata (maypops too

I'm gonna have to look up that catalpa tree

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

flower post 7:32 looks like Indian Pink nice find!!!!!!!!!

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I wondered about that, I've seen that somewhere else too and it was all over the place, I had seen indian pinks before, but wasn't quite possitive that's what it was. I can't seem to getmine to grow here for me.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I just looked up the catalpa tree, That's a neat tree, I'm hoping to be able to find it again and see if there are any young ones under neat, this was a small tree growing right where my DH wants to put his deer stand tomorrow. He wontcut it down, but I'm hoping it's in the same area so I can dig up some babies LOL

All these plants were in the same general location, of the whole l200 acres were were on today, this one area had the mostest LOL

I suppose it was because it was a swampy area where all those plants were.

There were so many of everything, that I doubt I make even the littlest dent when I dig up a few of each tomorrow or the next time I go there.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1682/

Portage, WI(Zone 4b)

Baptisia alba is the one you recognized as a Baptisia

I bet you'll be able to find some catalpa seedlings - I don't know if they're hard to transplant or not, but it is a fast-growing tree. If nothing else, you should be able to get seeds later in the year and grow them right where you want.

Portage, WI(Zone 4b)

I think your vine is a Smilax, but can't take a guess on which one.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the id's you all are awesome.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Gee, Kathy Ann--you hit the jackpot! That self-heal was used by the pioneers to cure sore throat--just a little tidbit of information I learned while a Girl Scout leader many years ago--LOL

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

WEll, I'm not possitive that tree is in the place we want to put the deer stand, we drove l2 miles on the 4 wheelers today, tha't s alot of territory LOL

And DH did't get to see the tree that I took a photo of, so he can't remember where it is. we'll find out tomorrow, maybe I'll get some other shots of other things I didn't see today.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Marilyn, I couldn't believe it, like I said DH thought I was nuts, and just knew I was going to be snake bit, cause I was hauling but out there inthe woods to see what was growing out there LOL

I couldn't keep up with him on the other 4 wheeler the rest of the day cause my mind was waundering out in the woods LOL Needless today, I had a good time today

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Well, good luck--and stay from the snakes and the poison ivy!!

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Snakes yes, I'll try, poison ivy doesn't affect me either way so I could walk in it all day long and would't break out, Thankfully. Kids , are a diff story, they'd have to have shots. Does't bother DH either. weird ha? LOL

This message was edited May 24, 2008 8:52 PM

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Well, it bothers me--I have to have the cortisone shot, too, and the shot itself makes me sick as a sick dog. I don't know which is worse--the terrible itching or the drunk feeling I get after having that shot!
Fortunately I haven't had any contact with poison ivy in a few years.

That vine might be a wild yam / Dioscorea. Hopefully this link to the usda plants database showing Dioscorea plants in Arkansas will work...:

http://plants.usda.gov/java/stateSearch?searchTxt=dioscorea+&searchType=Sciname&stateSelect=US05&searchOrder=1&imageField.x=0&imageField.y=0

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I thought that too claypa, I have a yam vine at home and the leaves look a littlel ike the wild yam vine inthe woods.

NE Medina Co., TX(Zone 8a)

About the poison ivy, I wouldn't walk in it even if you haven't had a reaction. You can develop a reaction to poison ivy at any time in your life. I was over 50 the first time I had a reaction. And once that happens, it will happen again from then on if you come into contact with that stuff.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I don't plan on walking in it if I know that's what it is LOL

wouldn't want to borrow any trouble

Madison, WI

kathy, the first one is Arisaema, possibly dracontium http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1521/

What a trip! What a plant list!

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Thanks Enya, I don't know if I'll get to go back this weekend, I may not be able to find the indian pinks again, I was hoping to dig a few, If it rains toomuch it's too marshy to go back into that area where everything was growing.

it was almost as if I stepped into someones lush woodland garden when I went back there and saw all those familiars and unfamiliars that I knew I still wanted LOL

Madison, WI

I love your wild penstemon! I'll be looking for some as I do want to grow more natives that attract butterflies.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

That stuff is all over the place around here, just down the road too, AND I was cutting the back yard clear out by the barn today and guess what else I found. I found the self heal out there, so I made sure not to mow it down, Got some of these things inmy own back yard LOL

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Hey, KA, now we will know who to call when we get a sore throat (self-heal was used to cure sore throats by the old-timers). BTW, one of the coneflowers you gave me has a bloom on it already! :o)) Also, one of the daylilies is getting ready to bloom. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

your welcome, I got a bunch of coneflowers coming up this year from seed, will be interesting to see what color the flower is,

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

"drool".

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

yep, we finally went back today a nd dug up a bunch of stuff, It all looks so sad right now, cause I had it in buckets. but I'm sure it will come back , I may have to cut alot of it back. We left alot out there in tact for next year LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.