Hoping for an ID

Orlando, FL

I got a bunch of bulbs from a yard sale about 15 or so and the man said they are orange and the women said peach. My thinking was they are amaryllis...yeah. Well one has bloomed and I do not think orange or peach....But very beautiful. I did not see it in plantfiles so am hoping to get some help with an ID. Here is the pic. I got about 20 bulbs of what they said are plain red....be fun to see what they are. :~)

Thumbnail by Moofiepoo
Orlando, FL

I went and looked in plantfiles again....It looks alot like Minerva. But the flower on mine does not have the little curly things down in and mine has crisp looking edges not wavy. Could it be the same plant? I am new to these....this is my first one.

Solingen, Germany(Zone 7a)

Definitely, not "Minerva". It looks like an older "heirloom hybrid" I saw advertised elsewhere as far as I remember without given name. At least your first blooming specimen is pretty! I must admit that I like these daintier cultivars more than the well known hybrids which where bred in the 50's and later - with big blooms and extremely broad segments and, yes these projections on their inner part you already mentioned.

Orlando, FL

I have never had Amaryllis before. I did not even think Heirloom....but I will now. I do think it is very pretty. I was told they were orange or peach. I took a chance at a yard sale, I think I am glad they were wrong. I will keep looking. Thanks

Solingen, Germany(Zone 7a)

It might be that you are even more fortunate and your little collection does consist of several different, pretty cultivars!

Orlando, FL

I know there are at least two cultivars. There is another one that is christmas red with a touch of white deep in the throat of it. It it pretty too. That would be great if I got a variety of color. Time will tell.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Could this be "Star of Holland" ?? It reminds me of it very much.

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

My Star of Holland was a lot frillier. How about Piquant?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.